Mealworms?

Greetings from Kansas, Taylorcoug, and :welcome! Pleased you joined us! I think they are beneficial as I assume they provide protein. A lot of companies have made a ton of money selling them so I guess enough chicken keepers think they are beneficial as well! :D. If you have half a day to kill, type 'meal worms' into the BYC search box, pour yourself your favorite beverage and get comfy, you'll be reading awhile!
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC:)!

welcome-byc.gif

Here's a quote from Mother Earth News regarding the protein in mealworms:
Mealworms in Livestock Feed

So, how do mealworms work in livestock feed? The answer is that mealworms are a high quality protein source, and can replace the use of soy in any omnivore’s diet. Poultry relish the mealworms, and the wiggly treats are a great way to tame any bird. Gecko and lizard owners know the power of mealworms, as they are the default live food for many of those animals. Dogs, cats, pigs, and fish all enjoy mealworms raw, and will quickly ignore their commercial ration in favor of the tasty larva.
Mealworms have 48 percent protein by weight (Feedipedia: Mealworms), which is similar to soy’s 50 percent protein (Feedipedia: Soybean meal). Mealworms contain more total energy per pound, however, and have lower ash and crude fiber content.
Just like soy, they need to be mixed with other feed sources, as a pure protein diet is not healthy or balanced. Mealworms can be dried for grinding and added to commercial rations using existing infrastructure, and require less processing than soy. Combined with their lower resource consumption and cost, mealworms offer a real option as a protein source for animals.

To me, those little mealworms are a very beneficial source of protein and they can help tame poultry by encouraging them to associate their handlers with goodies. Just keep in mind, treats should not make up more than 10% of a balanced diet (just like you wouldn't eat candy all day long instead of a balanced diet).

Plus, birds love them! Good for them and fun for you...it's a win/win!

There are plenty of online suppliers of mealworms (including myself). Mealworms shouldn't be a large part of a bird's daily diet (4-10% max), but are a great supplement, especially during winter when natural insect foraging drops off.

Back
Top Bottom