Mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by korlia, Nov 15, 2013.

1. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Hi guys, hope you can help?

I have decided to start my own mealworm farm for my little backyard flock. They just LOVE them!! I have read up on alot of info regarding this and most of the threads on here regarding keeping of your own mealworms.

What I understand from all of that is that you can feed them apple for instance, but once the apple gets moldy or dry you should remove it and replace it with fresh fruit or whatever you choose to feed.

I have placed a slice of apple in with them. (I keep them in an old glass aquarium.) They love it because its not long then they are all over the apple and eventualy the piece of apple gets pulled in under the bran as they feed on it. Yesterday I felt under the bran and the only thing left of the apple was the peel. So here is my question. Should I leave the peel under the bran and not worry about removing bits and pieces of fruit once they have pulled it in under the bran? Or should I dig under the bran to remove peel, etc. I am scared that it may start to get moldy if i just leave it, but I also don't want to go digging around the bran of its not necessary? Once the fruit disappear under should I not worry about it and just add a fresh piece?

ANY input and tips would be of great use!

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    you dont want mold , i personally pick them out. you can also put in potato slices and carrot slices

3. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Thx!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by