Mean and broody !!!

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I'm a newbie and am sure this has been answered many times. This started a couple weeks ago and I didn't recognize it right away. We are from deep south Texas and just went through a very hard freeze but not sure if it has anything to do with this issue. We have a buff orpington that has been broody 3 or 4 in the past. We have successfully broke her or so we thought. She isn't full blown broody YET but has developed an extreme mean attitude toward the 8 of our 8 bird flock. She pecks her very brutally and grabs her earlobes and pulls her to the ground where she pecks the back of her head and mounts her to do that, she actively hunts her down and when she manages to catch her she will stand her ground as best she can chest to chest and gives as good as she can. How can I stop this behavior or do we let it run its course? She's to old for Sunday dinner lol

She isn't full blown broody YET but has developed an extreme mean attitude toward the 8 of our 8 bird flock. She pecks her very brutally and grabs her earlobes and pulls her to the ground where she pecks the back of her head and mounts her to do that, she actively hunts her down and when she manages to catch her she will stand her ground as best she can chest to chest and gives as good as she can.
She's only targeting one of the 8?

She's to old for Sunday dinner
No, she's not ;) tho it would be soup or stew rather than roasted.

Some of my girls are being persnickety. I think the unusual ( for Texas) weather gave them cabin fever. They are getting better day by day since we're back in the 70s.
I would put her in mean girl time-out. I hope your 8th girl is ok with no health issues.

I guess I should have given all the information up front but it would have been like reading the encyclopedia for fun...the first flock of 5(-1) turned 1..9/14/20 the second flock will be 1(3 of the 5) the 14TH of March. The second flock lost a girl 3 weeks ago and was a breed mate to the one now being picked on. I lovingly call 1 from each flock "the enforcer" she makes sure the head hen has enough to eat and is given the respect she deserves....that being said the enforcer of the second flock has taken the MAKING sure that the last girl(the one being picked on)in the pecking order knows her place more than normal. Can this be a reaction from her loosing her breed mate

Back
Top Bottom