Mean barred rock 6 weeks old

Blindsay

Hatching
May 17, 2022
I have a few barred rocks that I have confirmed are female (one roo in the bunch) and they are just plain mean. It’s like a light switch flipped one day. I have hand raised babies several times and they’re always so sweet.. these ones were too until one day they just started nipping at me! (Biting not pecking) I won’t even be approaching them and they’ll puff their chest up and charge at me. I’m totally flabbergasted. The rest of the flock is sweet as pie and picked on constantly by these three. Is there any hopes of making them nicer??

They have to go. If you don't want to send them to the butcher then give them away to someone who will let them free range and take their chances. Sounds mean but so are they.

They have to go. If you don't want to send them to the butcher then give them away to someone who will let them free range and take their chances. Sounds mean but so are they.
I agree! I have thought the same if I can’t tame them a little bit.. it throws off the whole vibe of the flock!

It's upsetting but sometimes necessary. My beloved Eunice turned into Red and attacked children in the yard. He had to go.
I understand completely! I’ve never had to take these measures but unfortunately it is part owning chickens. I have kids too and I can’t deal with the unpredictability. It’d be different if they at least stayed away from me but they’re actively trying to attack when unprovoked.

I understand completely! I’ve never had to take these measures but unfortunately it is part owning chickens. I have kids too and I can’t deal with the unpredictability. It’d be different if they at least stayed away from me but they’re actively trying to attack when unprovoked.
I've never had a mean hen. Red was the only chicken that "had to go". Perhaps you can let them free range outside your fence and let nature handle things.

Back
Top Bottom