Mean blue quaker parrot.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
I found a blue quaker parrot out in the back yard. It is February and it was very cold out so I caught it and put it in a bird cage. It was not very nice the first day but what can you expect I just put myself in the birds position. Then it got nice and I could pet it for about two days and now it's mean as can be. I mean my Bob white quail and pheasants are nicer and they are raised to be wild because I raise them to release at least I can pic them up. I have to pick up the parrot up with a rag to move it. What do I do?

Have you posted that you found it on your local listserve? Or called your pound to let them know you found one in case an owner is looking for it? And if you are not going to keep it, considering finding a parrot rescue group to see if they will take it. Meantime do some research to see what you can do to help reduce that behavior. Most love toys and can get bored pretty quickly without stimulation. Thanks for rescuing it!

I posted all over facebook and since I'm literally in the middle of nowhere I didn't call a pound but the bird is tagged so I looked up the number to see what came up but nothing but a cockatoo came up. I bout it some toys and treats and it is in a decent size cage. I'm getting a big parrot cage today for it. I did all my research on this bird on its diet and behavior. But it seams it's calming down a little now.

For a start stop trying to pet the bird.

The first few days the bird was scared so it was defensive, Then after it found out you wasn't going to eat him he became timid and shy. Now he's found himself a nice home and he's comfortable so he's setting some ground rules that he would like you to follow.

Give him some time and he will sweeten up. Keep your hands where he can see them so don't pet him from behind until he trusts you. I would start by not picking him up but offering a finger or a stick to see if he will step up. Once you have him so you can move him on a finger or stick then try to touch his toes or lower chest. He will be paying attention and after a few nips you will learn to read the signals indicating his mood.

That's a expensive bird compared to the standard green and as you have tried your best to find his original home then I suggest you either become a pet bird lover or sell the bird to someone who will care for it. Please don't give it away to a rescue unless you are sure they are a real rescue as there are some bird flippers out there. Only by charging are you ensuring who ever takes the bird is going to take it for the right reason. Then you can donate the money or keep it as that really doesn't matter compared to finding the bird a happy home.

I hope that you consider keeping him especially as you have made a effort to read about these birds and he/she seems to be warming towards you.

It likely escaped and was stressed. Another thought would be to call an vet that specializes in birds and report it. Glad he is settling down!!

I am gonna keep it because it's a cool bird and I like all my chickens and other birds especially my exotics like my quail and pheasants I really like all my birds and even though he/she doesn't know what to think about me I still like him. And when would I ever catch a parrot in northeastern Ohio. I just don't understand why there is a band on it leg. I also tried hand feeding it it doesn't bite then it just tries to bite when you touch it's head or tail so I quail trying to after the 2nd try. I got him a big cage big enough for a cockatoo so maybe he won't feel so trapped. Thanks for the help.

I am gonna keep it because it's a cool bird and I like all my chickens and other birds especially my exotics like my quail and pheasants I really like all my birds and even though he/she doesn't know what to think about me I still like him. And when would I ever catch a parrot in northeastern Ohio. I just don't understand why there is a band on it leg. I also tried hand feeding it it doesn't bite then it just tries to bite when you touch it's head or tail so I quail trying to after the 2nd try. I got him a big cage big enough for a cockatoo so maybe he won't feel so trapped. Thanks for the help.

The band is simply put on by the breeder when the bird was a chick. Some bands have breeder info but most just have a numerical code that normally contains the year it was hatched.
If you breed 50+ birds in a year you need a way to tell the difference between them so you buy a batch of rings and mark each one as its hatched. The rings can be ordered with all sorts of codes but that doesn't mean it would help in finding the breeder or last owner as there's a limited amount of room on the band so a lot of numbers/letters are reused on different bands. Ive tried to trace bands before and never had any luck.

Touching his tail and back will come later, same as the top of his head. If I was going to try to touch him it would touch his beak and side of his neck. Don't flinch just move slowly and watch his reaction. His beak is a 3rd hand so he may tap his beak against your finger or try to use it to secure himself before stepping up. He will open his mouth and warn you before he bites. Just take your time and learn to read the signals. These birds live for years they are in no hurry.

On a good note Quakers are excellent pets and ive never seen a bad one. There are social birds so he should soon warm to you

I hope he will warm up to me soon. I wish it knew what I have done for it. Thanks for the help.

kept quakers for many years, mine were the standard green, the blue is much rarer and way more expensive. i had mine from a baby so she was fine with me handling her. but like everything else, sometimes she would grab you and you knew it. like chillin with said, work with her slowly and she will get used to you handling her. also check your states ag rules, some states its illegal to have them because they are prolific breeders and in the wild the make huge nests and destroy crops.. google them. they are good pets once you spend the time getting them used to you

Ok I have my wild life permit so I can raise and sell different types of animals that I have but I don't think that means anything. But I will definitely check into that.

Back
Top Bottom