Mean buff

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ajones, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Ajones

Ajones Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    Williamsburg,ky
    I've got a 9month old buff Orpington rooster that is to mean to tame. I can't open the run door to feed or water the other chickens without getting flogged. I've tried pushing him back but it makes him meaner. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to do with him. I don't want to give him away but it looks like I'm going to..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There are plenty of mellow buff Orpingtons available. Our chickens are for enjoyment - why tolerate a human aggressive rooster. I'd turn him into coq au vin in a heartbeat and locate a good rooster.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with Sourland...usually do!

Invite him to dinner.

Buff orpingtons are known for having mellow roosters. Shouldn't be hard to replace him.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I tend to agree - no time for a mean rooster! Crockpot!

5. Ajones

Ajones Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    Williamsburg,ky
    Thanks, I just hate to get rid of him. He was the first one I got. He just won't be friendly. He has three hens with him, two rir and a white leghorn. I think I'm going to try to trade him for two more hens..

6. ernndbrtt

ernndbrtt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Our Buff Orp roo used to go after me occasionally when I'd be in the pen with him and his 17 girls until I caught him, sat down, laid him on his back, kind of like cradling a baby and just held him for a few minutes petting him. He hates it, I can feel the tension in his muscles, he's a pretty big boy, but he does not struggle once caught and he no longer goes after me at all. My wife used to be afraid of him because he would attack her everytime she went into the pen, UNTIL she used the same tactic that I did. No more aggressive roo for us. Occasionally he will still act like he's thinking about going after us but a step or two in his direction always removes his aggressiveness instantly. My wife was planning to put our roo in the crock pot until she gathered the "courage" to employ my strategy and now she isn't afraid of him anymore. It's like I've always told her. He is just a 7 or 8 pound bird, just grab him and assert your dominance over him. Your roo may well never be "nice", ours is very aloof and wants nothing to do with attention from us, he usually will not even take food from our hands . Our hens will jump onto our laps when we sit in the pen with them and swarm us to get food out of our hands, but not the roo.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by