Mean chick

poodlepill

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Southern Illinois
I got my 24 chicks this morning at the Post Office at 7am. In this horribly cold single digit nights all 24 arrived chirping in the box and with little help all have settled in and are strong.

Well I have been observing this one chick that pecks and then pulls the other chicks to where the other chick is squaking and is pulled over onto its side. Then the it goes to another chick and does the same. Seems like it really goes after the Salmon Favorells because they are yellow and "it" can see thier eyes better?

Anyway, this chick is a Speckled Sussex all are suppose to be pullets (I know) but I figured at least a better shot at less roo's.

I was just about to cull this little tyrant and thought I'd ask first, if they start out this way is this a bad sign or does it run its course.

Thanks

Some can seem a little mean I think its more inquisitiveness and the instinct to peck at things rather than a bad chick. My salmon Faverolle always got picked on even by the little tiny serama chicks who were half her size. I'd wait and see how things go if it gets worse you could try sectioning her off in a separate part of the brooder for a few days and see if that helps
smile.png

ARGH..............I want to flick it every time it goes after another chick. I do believe it is trying to peck eyes and I know they all do this but geeze, this one is really giving grief to the whole little flock, "it" really grabs on and pulls them.

I will try to make a divider somehow to section this little tyrant off but that means its own water and food too.

I have to quit looking in there.......I marked "its" little head and "its" always the same one going after the other chicks.

Poking eyes and pulling on feet and toes is no reason to cull a chick-it's actually pretty normal in a clutch or batch of chicks.
I agree, isolate the little meanie where he can see the others, but not be pokin' and pullin'(someone on here once suggested a window screen).
Good luck.

Quote:
It sounds like my 2 year old, lol. You could try distracting her with some shiny marbles or bird toys, also blowing on her every time she does it might act as a diversion
smile.png

I had a chick like that in the batch I recieved last month. She was a little EE that picked the other chicks eyes until they were bleeding from the time I got her home from the PO. I seperated her for 2 weeks and gave her a sock to cuddle with. It was a white sock and I put a couple black dots on it for eyes, lol. She liked that! By the time I put them all back together in a larger brooder she had quit the nonsense picking and fit right in with the rest of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom