mean chickens attack broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cowman910, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i had a broody hatching an egg and when i candeled it i saw little veins. then i went to check on it again today and one of my rhode island reds attacked my broody hen and ate the egg. what can i do to prevent this from happening without seperating them?

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Take the egg eater out, once they start doing that they usually dont stop.
    personally she would be stew.

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I think the only way to prevent this from happening again is to separate them .
    If you cannot separate them maybe try putting a small dog crate over the broody.I had to do this.Provide water and feed
    or if you cannot do that try putting some wooden eggs/golfballs under her also so the other hens may peck them instead of the eggs...and hopefully get bored. Good Luck !

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i would get rid of that egg eater or you will never be able to hatch eggs or eat them yourself. Then separate the broody into a safe area, maybe an enclosed rabbit hutch inside your run?

5. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i have A small rabbit hutch that stands about two feet off the floor and has metal floor and one side is open with chicken wire and the other three sides are enclosed with wood i might put her in there when the weather warms up thanks

6. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Egg eater stew. If you can't do it, you can probably find a local that will be happy to take her off your hands. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by