Mean chickens

Suzilla Bean

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2015
I'm sure that it happened gradually, but it wasn't until this weekend that I noticed that Janet and La Toya don't let Rebbie out of the coop. In the afternoons I hadn't noticed anything, but this morning there was a quick squabble in the run. I looked up and saw Rebbie running into the coop, away from the other two. I checked up on them about 20 minutes. Reebie was still in the coop. I wondered how long this had been happening and how long it had been since Rebbie ate. Suffice it to say, Rebbie, uncharacteristically ate from my hand. Her struggle is real. I intend to add a feeder in the coop as a short term solution. What are some suggestions for any long term ones?

ah heck where they bought at the same time? I had 5 barred rock loved the daily eggs but found they turned into witches after 3 years so breed, age and when acquired please

I would take the primary instigator and put her in "time out" for a few days- leaving Rebbie out with whichever one is nicer to her. And by time out, I mean a crate in the coop with food/water. :) time away from the group may give the little bully an attitude adjustment!

As much as I hate seeing one of the girls looking pathetic isolated from all the other girls, it's preferable to finding one starved to death. I will separate Janet from the rest.

I agree take her out for like 2 or 3 days maybe once she is back take the other one for 2 days see how the pecking order has changed first after a couple days

I agree take her out for like 2 or 3 days maybe once she is back take the other one for 2 days see how the pecking order has changed first after a couple days
That was going to be my next question: how long is she going to be in time out?

This often happens if there is not really enough room, at about this time in the flock. What WAS enough room because the chicks were small, becomes not enough room when the birds grow. Some people think that if they are raised together, that will outweigh space issues, but it often times doesn't.

Going into winter, this is apt to get worse. The long nights mean birds are roosted together for up to 16 hours a night. Bad weather keeps them more confined and closer together. This is the time, one needs to measure the coop, the roost space and count heads.

I may be wrong, maybe the time out will work, but what will probably happen is the tension will drop when you pull a bird out, as that give the remaining birds more space. Then when you go to add a bird back, you will be too small, high tensions and fighting as the birds themselves try and correct the problem.

Mrs k

Back
Top Bottom