Mean Duck

Thank you so much for your help and advice! I will try all of your suggestions. I did do some research before deciding to be a duck owner, but having them first hand is obviously quite different than just reading some articles on ducks and how to raise them. Plus every duck is different and has a different temperament, like any other animal. I guess I was a little in denial and thought that "my ducks" would never do that. Well....my feet are back on the ground and my eyes are wide open and I have a direction to go. Thank you all for your support and help with this wanna be alpha duckie!

That's what I would do. I can't say it'll improve his behavior because in my experience ducks are very territorial but at least you'll get yo decide when he's around the kids and he'll feel like he's in their area not they're in his. Ducks (at least any of the dozen I've raised) aren't as friendly as chickens and barely tolerate human interaction. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, maybe that's normal. But yes. Get them their own space, leave them for two or three weeks so they accept the new change, and then let them out supervised only. Then when he attacks at least you can take steps to prevent it, such as holding closed his beak for a half a minute or so every time he bites or just having the victim hold and cuddle him for a few minutes after every bite. He'll get the hint that biting isn't worth it. Also teach the kids not to run from him but towards him when he gets chargy. They're alpha, not him.
Does this work? Can you train a duck to stop their nasty habits? Mine are terrible at the moment.

Well I wouldn't call him friendly lol but he thinks twice before charging. He still chases and tries to intimidate us but if we look like we're going to pick him up, he scatters and stays away now. Lucky for him too, he was almost roast duck
1f609.png

I have two drakes and four females. I really need to sell one Drake but I don't have the heart .. so im paying hundreds to build new enclosures so I can seperate them all! I never know ducks could be such hard work!!

Does this work? Can you train a duck to stop their nasty habits? Mine are terrible at the moment.

Yes you can train them but it takes work. Mine aren't scared of me but they never attack me either, I make it very clear that if a nasty duck gets all up in my space, then its my right to pick him up and stroke him...usually with a bit of cutie pie talk too! They hate it especially when they are trying to be savage! They soon learn personal boundaries. Teaching them not to hurt other ducks is another story. I'm drowning in drakes, I've got 2 for sale and might sell a third, but I'm picky about homes so, in the mean time like you I'm building lots of enclosures! Just to make things really complicated I also have a rooster now!

Back
Top Bottom