Mean geese

MamaChixx

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
We have 2 ganders (no other geese around). We adopted them as guardians for our hens. They have been with us for about a year and right now, they are really agressive and will attack anyone that comes near them. Is there a way to have them snap out of it or are we doomed?

We have 2 ganders (no other geese around). We adopted them as guardians for our hens. They have been with us for about a year and right now, they are really agressive and will attack anyone that comes near them. Is there a way to have them snap out of it or are we doomed?
Lmao hopefully someone comes along to help. But from what I have had tou are doomed they suck lol but that's my experience and I hope that someone can fix your situation with good advice but my opinion shoot em

It’s breeding season, they’re hormonal and are quick to anger, they can’t really help it. They should be settling down in a month usually.

Geese are very social, who spends a lot of time with them they consider their flock, because they have long memories it can take awhile to earn their trust, but once earned it can be lost if you don’t maintain it.

My advice is to start spending time with them, give them treats and just sit with them for awhile each day. If they charge or try to attack say NO! Then pick them up and carry them around for a little while before setting them back down.
It’s important to act like nothing happened after, further punishment or intimidation just reinforces their anger towards you. It will help even better if you then offer a treat. The entire thing teaches them that you are dominant but that you are also are their friend.
After awhile they’ll figure out what No means and make an attempt to behave.

Picking up a gander is easier than it sounds, but two angry ganders complicates things. If you have someone else there with you it will help, two people to pick up two naughty ganders, or at least someone to distract one while the more naughty of them gets picked up.
I have managed to scoop up one while there were multiple naughty ganders present but you need to be crazy fast and fairly used to it so I wouldn’t recommend doing it alone if you’re not used to it.

How you pick up and attacking goose:
Grab the stinker by the head just firmly enough to hold on but not enough to hurt him. He can’t bite you if you have his head.
Scoop your other arm around his torso to pin his wings and lift.

The faster it’s done the easier it is.

I agree completely with Goosebaby's post. Don't let unacceptable behavior continue. Eventually things should calm down. Just remember, they are acting this way instinctually. They can't help it and it doesn't mean they are bad. Talk to them. Will take time.

and while you have him tucked under your arm, tell him the story of St Martin and the traditional feast for the day on November 11th in the Old World: Roasted Goose.
:drool

all kidding aside: they are doing the job you hired them for. Ganders are jerks.

And be prepared to hear his side of the storytelling: How geese saved Rome from the invasion of the Barbarians when the dogs were laying in bed, snoozing......

Good luck with the taming of the beasts.
I have no real useful input.

Back
Top Bottom