Mean guinea male

That they do.
Going after me or my kids when our backs are turned however, is an absolute no-no.
My then one year old cock would kind of lose his mind last summer. Most of his girls were on a nest, so he started defending it. He would see me coming and run up to me puffed out. As he got closer, I could see him hesitating, like his brain finally engaged, and then he’d arrive at my feet and suddenly find the ground very interesting... He doesn’t do that this year, and the other cocks are far to scared of me to even consider doing that.

Maybe YOU thought the mate #s were equal, sounds like Mr. Grinch was thinking of starting a haram. I had a small flock in their 1st season & everyone stayed in their own lanes until the 1st night one decided to stay on the nest and went missing. Then her mate thought to check out another female who's mate didn't take kindly to the attention. Nugget got an attitude adjustment.
With one bird flying into a car and the one that went missing, I have 1 female to 3 males now. I keep her confined so she can't build a nest somewhere she shldnt and lead my males off property again.
They seem content with this; by day the males free range while staying close to her pen w/o any fighting, and everyone emerges from the coop each morning still alive.

I was wondering about that myself! I was like geez dude you have your own female stop being so damn greedy, lol. It was so bad that my lavender male and his mate would actually stay away from the group throughout the day so they were less likely to run into Mr. Grinch - I watched him actually seek them out and pick a fight :barnie

I've heard of people having more females then males, I'm surprised your males aren't fighting over the one hen. That's nice you're able to make sure you don't lose more though!
I pay attention to how many days in a row we don't have guinea eggs, once we're at day 2, I watch what areas they stay in all day and then go nest hunting. Otherwise we end up with a hen on a nest who thinks she doesn't need to join the others in the coop at night even with all the coons and the resident fox around :thThey haven't been able to hide one I haven't found yet though! Lol

They are delicious.
He's in the freezer waiting for dinner one of these nights. We were planning on keeping some keets this year to raise and put in our freezer, so guess we get to try it out a little earlier then planned.
He was only a year old so hopefully he won't be tough like a roster would be. Either way he'll go in the crock pot to avoid that. Lol

My then one year old cock would kind of lose his mind last summer. Most of his girls were on a nest, so he started defending it. He would see me coming and run up to me puffed out. As he got closer, I could see him hesitating, like his brain finally engaged, and then he’d arrive at my feet and suddenly find the ground very interesting... He doesn’t do that this year, and the other cocks are far to scared of me to even consider doing that.
Oh there was no hesitation, the only reason he didn't get me was cuz I heard him coming. I was able to get out of the way, and then I ran him back a few feet afterwards so he couldn't try it again.

But you could tell he was getting ready to, so I left since my 5 year old was with me

Back
Top Bottom