mean hen w/new roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Happy Camper, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I have a very mean English hen. She is about 1 yr old. She was the alpha amongst everyone else... ducks; younger hens; turkeys etc...
    She has never layed and is bossy and mean. I introduced a young roo and she kept him far appart from the rest of them.
    I decided to separate them and put the roo and the rest of the hens (but her) in another area. This week he began singing and mating w his ladies. I decided to reintroduce Mean Hen to them.
    I thought he was going to kill her... at first I thought he was just mating but he barely lets her move and keeps her under him as he walks over her almost dragging her.
    She fought him a couple times w no luck.
    This is her first night together and he is not letting her roost w them.
    Can he kill her if she keeps fighting him? Should I separate them or let them be? He is twice as big as him.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes he can and very well may kill her unlesss you separate them. He hasn't forgotten and most likely will not forget her attempts at dominance.

3. Happy Camper

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    :/
    she is a trouble maker but I definitely don't want her killed... maybe she can go back w the other birds who don't mind her being so dominant... thanks!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you post a pic of her?

5. Happy Camper

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I'd post a pic but she's no more... this izs what happened. I decided to leave her there and she survived the night the foo left her alone and she even layer an egg!
    A couple days later she escaped the coup and my dogs injured her badly so I had to coup her cause I did not want her to have a slow death...
    She was mean but tasted really sweet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by