Mean male guinea...will it get better?

Oh no you guys are worrying me! I have 15 keets coming at the end of July. Are they normally aggressive? I can't have them attacking people! I had a male and female and they were great, the male would come running when you called and other than that they avoided people and animals. After they are grown how do you catch them to cull them if need be?

Quote:
Mine haven't been aggressive towards people at all. Now, I have been beat up trying to catch them...they have really strong wings!
hide.gif
But, they are somewhat easy to catch after they have gone to bed. I
love.gif
my guineas, and will never not have guineas. I figured it was just out of control teenage hormones. Don't be scared of your guineas!

Shelly

Quote:
No. I don't believe that guineas are normally aggressive to people. We don't have anyone quite so young as 5 years old, but still we've never had a problem. I just think that the cocks go through a teenage stage, their first year I guess, and then they'll hopefully settle down.

As for catching them, it is NOT easy to catch a guinea during the daylight hours. If you can get the guinea distracted enough eating food then you might be able to grab them, but you have to get a really good hold of them because guineas are wiggle-worms! I'd say the best way to catch a guinea is probably at night on the roost.

Thanks everyone I was really worried. I was trying to catch my female to tend to the toes the male had bitten but luckily she got on my chicken coop netting and I was able to spray them with blukote.
I wasn't sure if they were like chickens at night or not-good to know!
smile.png

Quote:
I am thinking of getting guineas-I have 1 roo and 6 laying hens already..are males just more aggressive? should I get only females? I would hate for anything to happen to my chickens...but on the other hand I do have a neighbor that always bugs me...lol! Just joking bout the neighbor but at least they would let me know when hes in my yard...
roll.png

Quote:
I am thinking of getting guineas-I have 1 roo and 6 laying hens already..are males just more aggressive? should I get only females? I would hate for anything to happen to my chickens...but on the other hand I do have a neighbor that always bugs me...lol! Just joking bout the neighbor but at least they would let me know when hes in my yard...
roll.png

they can be but no more then a mean rooster, if you raise them with the chickens it should be ok but the rooster will know who the boss is once they grow up.

also they will protect your chicken while free ranging from cats and anything that size and will protect them from hawks as well.

Guess what?!? I found my stupid Barred Rock roo trying to mount all the guineas!!!
th.gif
Now I know why they're attacking any and every roo I have! And I don't blame them! LOL!

Stupid roos! Good thing they are all going in the stew pot over the next few weeks!
thumbsup.gif

Shelly

Well I can't believe it. We came home from the County Farm Fair with 2 new keets. And I'm actually hoping 1 of them is male. So far none of the eggs we have gotten have been fertile so either our male doesn't know what to do, or he is sterile. My DS took all his guineas to the show and as he was the only 1 that showed guineas he took home 1st, 2nd and 3rd!. No one could believe how he could just carry those darn birds around without any problems!

Quote:
That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations!
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif
What color are your keets?

Of all of mine, the dominant male settles down pretty quickly once you've got him in a football hold. It's the catching him that's the hard part! LOL!

Shelly

Still trying to figure out the color they are both pied I believe. One is brownish and the other is grayish. The guy who sold them to my DS said he order all lavender eggs, and these guys hatched out he thought 1 of them was chocolate.
28423_dscn1801.jpg

28423_dscn1798.jpg

Back
Top Bottom