mean, mean, mean hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken burger, Dec 29, 2010.

1. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    I have an OEG X Dutch bantam. She is mean, mean, mean! She fights with all other hens none stop. She has already had 3 batches of chicks and only lays when she feels like it. I have tried to introduce new hens for the poor roo, but she keeps them on the perch. if thier feet touch ground she's on them like hot butter! She chases them, kicks them and pulls out feathers. I put her in the coop with my bigger hens cochin x silkies and she even beats them up????
    Can I change this behaviour or is she a gonner? Once when I took her chick away she actually crowed like a rooster?????

HELP please!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have heard where you can try seperating the mean one for a couple of weeks and then eventually reintroduce her to the flock. It changes the pecking order, etc. If that doesn't work I'd process her!!!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a chronic broody who is a bully and a brute. I need her for hatching in the spring which is the only reason she is still around. I tried separating her several times (for bad behavior and to break the brood cycle), but she is a tough nut and always works her way back up the pecking order to top position in no time. Mine has this last chance in the spring to prove herself useful. If she fails she is heading to the stew pot. She has always been a constant disruption to the flock dynamics, and has made integration of new birds... challenging.

I don't see that you are going to be able to change your hen's behavior in the long term. If she is as tough as mine she will just keep disrupting the flock with her antics. I'd try a "time out", but I wouldn't hold out too much hope that it will be successful.

Good luck with her. Bantams don't have much meat on their bones, but they will make a good couple batches of chicken stock if you are inclined.

4. chicken burger

chicken burger Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    well, I seperated her and had her in the house overnight. i held her and cuddled her and gave her a stern talking to. i put her back with the flock today and she is as good as gold. She only had words with my one broody hen who is being impossible lately. other than that, like I say, good as gold. So I think a long term seperation might just sort her out! Thanks folks.

If not, she is so darn tiny, I don't think she's even good for a chicken stock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by