mean muscovy

pjcooper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
I came home from work today and my husband said our Muscovy duck had one of the chickens by the neck and was thrashing it. has anyone heard of ducks attacking chickens?

yes, tell me about your dynamics, does this drake have any ducks? is it possible he was mating? My big hens do run where my scovies do, they are indifferent to one another but my drakes have plenty of ducks to occupy their affections lol

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
My Scovy's will grab a chickens feathers in an aggressive manner if they get to close but haven't seen one actually grab hold of ones neck, Wow I hope the chicken is okay.

Last edited:
I just have two chickens and one duck . I don't know if the duck is male or female but it is less than five months old and that seems young to me for it to want to be mating.

My male scovy do that to my bantam chickens, the hens mostly as they are bolder to get into whatever scovy fam is into. Bantom roosters try to fight drakes sometimes and they usually get caught and smacked against ground till they squack or get flung around. my female scovys just get low grunt squeak and claw ground like bulls do then bite the tar outta if get hold of and maybe lay on and paw at till roos squack. if roos try to mate female ducks the scovy group all chase off all the chickens for sec at least.

I just have two chickens and one duck . I don't know if the duck is male or female but it is less than five months old and that seems young to me for it to want to be mating.
At 5 months hormones are beginning to course I've seen my 5 month old drake and ducks look at a chicken as to say don't get to close or else. They like to let the chickens think they are the bosses of the barn yard[back yard] most of the time it's feather pulling or stare downs.

At 5 months hormones are beginning to course I've seen my 5 month old drake and ducks look at a chicken as to say don't get to close or else. They like to let the chickens think they are the bosses of the barn yard[back yard] most of the time it's feather pulling or stare downs.

I agree at 5mths they are most definitely capable of mating and sexual aggression, some will show this later but it's right in the earlier time frame you start to see this occurring.

Last edited:
Darn.. i was led to believe about a year was when they were then getting sexually active, and assumed young my drakelets were just mimicking dad (the males don't bother each other but dad mostly getting meaner with sister , and daughters some too). would it help if poster had a female at least for their boy?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom