1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mean ol Rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RIRSNCHICKENJOE, May 5, 2009.

1. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Hi there, I have 12 chickens, so far 4 or 5 Roosters and the rest are pullets. The biggest rooster (sex linked) is very aggressive to my two white sex linked (not sure what you would call them...we are new to this) today he bit and held onto a comb of a RIR, she was screaming..it was pitiful. What can I do? Pretty sure he is the top chicken in the coop as far as pecking order is concerned. any info is appreciated!! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Time for him to meet Mr. stew pot, He has a way of curing bad roosters.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:If you have 4 or 5 roosters and 7 or 8 pullets, you have too many roosters. There will be a lot of fighting between the roosters and they could damage the pullets by mating with them too much. I would eliminate all but 1 or 2 roosters.

Was the RIR a pullet? Are you sure the rooster was not just mating with her? Some roosters have pretty rough techniques.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you didn't mention the ages; could it be that roo is just growing into maturity and hasn't yet learned how to be gentle with his ladies? I find the "teenage" roos can be fairly rough until they get the mechanics refined...

5. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Sorry about that...we got all of them around February 6th and were told at the time they were 1 to 6 weeks old. I believe all of my RIR were the 1 weeks old... they were so tiny. He is probably the oldest of all of them. Pretty sure my white sex linked are pullets. [​IMG] As soon as we figure out which ones are roos for sure we will be going to auction...hubby wants an americauna (sp?)

and LOL at the chicken stew.. not sure I could eat chicken joe at this point...he is the nicest to me out of all of the chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by