Mean ole heifers

Bekahmarie

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
East Texas
Well princess stormy is getting bullies. I have her separated from the other chickens. But there are 3 chickens pecking at her and I only have 1 coop with nowhere else for her to go. She hasn’t started laying yet but the other 2 are. (3rd chicken is a rooster) how do you solve this, stormy is our sweet baby 😭

her bottom and that’s her hip bone thing not an egg this is from them pecking on her
ADADB3DD-2F9D-43E1-ACF5-605814132E15.jpeg

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
How much room do they have? Bad behaviors are often created or magnified due to them being crowded.

You say all three are pecking her. If they are trying to hurt her I'd expect that pecking to be directed at her head, not her vent area. Are you sure it is all three?

Chickens can be cannibals, if they see a wound they can peck the wound and eat her alive. It looks like a lot of her feathers back there are gone. I wonder if you have one that is a feather picker, one that picks off feathers to eat. Those butt feathers are small and fluffy, easy to eat. This is purely a guess but I could see one eating feathers and wounding her. Feather pecking and cannibalism can be caused by them not having enough room. How much room do they have?

So what can you do? Immediately you need to isolate her until she heals. If you can do that in a crate or pen where she can stay across wire from the others that might make reintegration easier. After she has healed you can try it again. I have had some successes and some failures by isolating.

If it doesn't work you have some choices to make. You could set up a separate permanent home for her. How you would do that would depend n your set-up and desires. If you can identify one instigator you could separate her totally from the flock for a week or so and see if separation changes her behavior. Or you can choose between your princess and the instigator.

The immediate thing is to separate her and heal her.

Bekahmarie

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
East Texas
I have seen them all attack her when she comes out of the coop. Not only once.
The bottom is exposed because I pulled back the butt fuzz :)
Their run is 10x10 and the coop is 4x8

she’s isolated but I put her back in to roost at night. I’m not sure if this is the right thing to do or what. 😑 I’m just lost

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Top Bottom