Mean Queen of the flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madrone, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Madrone

Madrone Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    I have a big bully for a the dominant hen of the flock. She's even left an open wound on the head of one of my leghorns(one of my favorite girls!!). I'm thinking I just need to find her a new home with full disclosure. Suggestions? Anyone else deal with this before? She's a real meanie!

2. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I have seen many times on this site to put them in chicken jail. Seperate her from the flock in her own area, like a large dog crate for a week or two and this may upset the pecking order so that when re-introduced she is not on top.

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I had 2 RIRs that were great egg layers, but very mean to all the other chickens. Chicken jail never worked so I finally gave them to a friend that had a much larger flock and a rooster. They did fine in their new environment.

4. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I too had an RIR that was so mean to the other hens that they couldn't lay or eat so, I culled her. When I got my hens, I said I would not butcher them, but this one changed my mind. I couldn't give her away, she was just too mean and it was either keep her and get rid of the rest or get rid of her, so to the butcher she went. I currently have another RIR who is the queen of the flock but no where near what the other one was.

5. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

We have a mean Black Australorp, she used to chase my Boston Terrier away from the flock when he got too close/aggressive(there is a fence between them still). One night she was picking on the other chickens as they were starting to roost, pecking them on the head. I took her off of the roost/out of the coop and tossed her back in the run to wait outside for a while(she wasn't at all hurt, other than her ego). Oddly enough after that she hasn't been nearly as mean or dominant. She stayed off the roosts for a while that night and mostly stopped pecking other hens. She will even share treats now where before any chicken would get a peck on the head if the came close.

I highly highly doubt such a small thing would work for other situations but it seemed to be just enough for our bird. It certainly seems like they see me as the Rooster/alpha of the flock, many of them squat when I approach them so that probably helps to "put them in their place" so to speak.

6. EM Squared Farms 2

EM Squared Farms 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    FL
    A roo should solve the problem. Or Just hold her on her back then all the other hens will come peck her and she will be at the bottom of the pecking order.

7. Intetdreamer

Intetdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    My alpha Black Copper Marans hen was always pecking my silkies, one time I caught her at it and kicked in the butt. She hasn't been mean to them since, in fact she even preens them, treating them like chicks... They are still terrified of her but let her do it, seemingly too scared to move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by