Mean Roo?

RW1984

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
So, I admit I am very new to chickens and this is my first flock.
I’ve done a lot of reading and learned a lot and I know there’s a lot I don’t know yet. So I come here with an open mind.
All my birds are about the same age, born in April. (I may have said March in a separate post, can’t remember, I had a concussion two weeks ago so my brain is still scrambled lol)
Anyways the young rooster in the photo below is one of 6 or 7 roosters in a flock of 40 birds.
And he is an a$$
I sit in the house and watch it if I sit outside an watch, it seems every time I hear a bird scream it’s caused by him grabbing some feather and holding on while they run away and they get pulled out.
It happens easily 10 times in about 20-30 minutes sometimes more.
He does it in the run, while free ranging and when they go into the coop at night he ambushed them on their way in.
I came really close to taking him out to the back 40, had him and a hatchet in hand. Then I read as I was walking with him that it’s possibly a courting process (him saying hey, you’re pretty, let’s get it on)
He also started to shake a little while we were walking. Not sure if he knew what’s goin to happen or he was freaked out cause everyone was bedded down for the night and he’s out with me lol
So I thought I’d give him one more chance and write you all.
What should I do? He’s a beautiful bird but I don’t want aggressive genetics passed on.
Someone said they calm down as they get older.
Is this just common courting (none of the other Roos have done this, and he’s def not the alpha I have seen him run from other Roos) or should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 5EC0AD97-510A-42BF-A16F-35BBFC8F49D7.jpeg
    5EC0AD97-510A-42BF-A16F-35BBFC8F49D7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
He’s a young azzhat. Give him some time or cull is up to you. If he’s not doing physical damage, he will grow out of it. He has just figured out he’s big enough to take what he wants vs work for it.

when they go into the coop at night he ambushed them on their way in.
Unacceptable behavior, IMO.
I'd stick this guy in a crate away from the flock for a few days.
See how the other boys behave.
No reason to have that many males, multiple males are often a chaotic mess.

Back
Top Bottom