Mean Roo

khart6908

Hatching
Nov 13, 2023
I purchased 15 pullets back in June, and two of them turned out to be roosters. So I have two brahma roos, one is very passive, the other is very mean to my hens, pecks their feet on the roost and their necks when they are out. Won't let them come out into the run until he comes out first. I wasn't planning on roosters and was considering keeping them if they were nice, but so far the one seems to be a jerk to the girls. Will it get better or is this how it will be, they are almost 5 mos.

I’d say get rid of the jerk. If he is being mean to the girls, he isn’t good. His hormones could be making him mean, but it isn’t great for the pullets to be harassed constantly and will greatly stress them. The pullet to cockerel ratio is also not the best so the males may fight over girls or over mate them. It is best to have a hen/pullet to rooster/cockerel ratio of 10/1.

I wasn't planning on roosters and was considering keeping them if they were nice, but so far the one seems to be a jerk to the girls.
I'd move them on then. Keeping males can be problematic. Even 1 can be trouble, 2 can be worse.

The pullet to cockerel ratio is also not the best so the males may fight over girls or over mate them.
2 males are likely to fight no matter how many females there are.

It is best to have a hen/pullet to rooster/cockerel ratio of 10/1.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

I purchased 15 pullets back in June, and two of them turned out to be roosters. So I have two brahma roos, one is very passive, the other is very mean to my hens, pecks their feet on the roost and their necks when they are out. Won't let them come out into the run until he comes out first. I wasn't planning on roosters and was considering keeping them if they were nice, but so far the one seems to be a jerk to the girls. Will it get better or is this how it will be, they are almost 5 mos.
This article is a good one!
👍🏼♥️🤗

https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/04/28/understanding-responding-to-rooster-behaviour/

I like this paragraph in particular—
Quote:
The most problematic period of hormone overdrive is likely puberty which occurs for young cockerels from 3-4 months up to about a year of age. This period also coincides with when most first report that their ‘sweet’ boy has become ‘mean’. This, however, is an erroneous interpretation of what is happening. When hormones enter the picture, that baby bird who was only concerned with exploring and playing suddenly realizes he has a very important job to do. He is destined to be a protector, but he doesn’t know yet what he is supposed to protect against. What follows is often a series of bad guesses, some understandable, some downright laughable. I once watched one of our young boys let out a predator screech at a butterfly as it flew past. It’s not uncommon for that same confusion to come out in ways that are inconvenient, and sometimes downright painful, for the keeper.”

————————
He could get better, but would need some separation therapy until he gets over his hormone surges. They are fighting for seniority right now it seems. I went thru this as well. But I had enough room to separate the mean Cockerel to let him grow up. Once he calmed down. I gave him a few hens and once he proved he was good to them. I slowly integrated them them to the flock, but they did have the run of 2 acres.

Back
Top Bottom