mean rooster only attacks ME!

Wow.

glad to hear your making progress.
smile.png

Boot to butt lol.

yippiechickie.gif

hahahah! maybe thats where I went wrong "training" with my husband!

"can you help me carry in the groceries?"

"Yeah, I'll do it after the game"

"But its only the 3rd inning....it's 90 outside. Our frozen stuff is already melting"

"well, give me 20 mins. I wanna see how this new pitcher does"

"in 20 mins I can have it carried in, put away and dinner started. So...forget it"

NEXT TIME I WILL APPROACH HIM WITH THE BROOM IN HAND! Maybe Im on to something here....

Great thread! I am working on behaviour modification with one of my Roos as well. He only attacks me and lays in wait to ambush me it seems..lol. During the winterstorm, I was fixing a pipe that bursted going to the horse's automatic waterers. I came around the corner of the barn carrying an armful of supplies and something hit me in the side of the chest and knocked me a few steps over. My first thought was "what the heck did I run into?". Then it hit me again and I realized it was the rooster. Luckily for me, one of the items I was carrying was a length of pvc pipe. Pipe, meet rooster. I tried just pushing him away with it and it didn't work, so I resorted to smacking him in the chest with it and the tail end as he ran away. For quite a few days after he would avoid me at all costs, but then this morning as I was walking out to the truck to go to work, he came after me. I now realize that I need to be more consistent with my discipline to help curb the behaviour. Thanks for all of the information!

careful if you decide to pick him up! wear a thick jacket.... just from experience... my roo never gave me problems until I need to catch him one day, I was wearing a regular t-shirt, I held him like I hold all my chickens, football style...then it happened he bit my ummm...."cheast" and wouldn't let go, the mark stayed for a good while and boy did it hurt!!!

Last edited:
One thing that just crossed my mind and I thought I might add to the general advice here...

I think once you pick a weapon, you'd best stick to it. My Rooster is currently very well behaved with me; he doesn't threaten and if I walk toward him, he'll walk -- and then run! -- away. BUT rooster-minds are not difficult to read, and I've seen him contemplating what might happen if he just... you know... kinda walked over to me and looked a little... well, threatening, maybe. Maybe lounged up against the lamp post on the corner in a leather jacked and lit a cigarette, that sort of thing.

When I see that, I reach for the litter scoop, my weapon of choice.

He immediately goes to whistling and staring off into the distance. I get the idea that he thinks I'm a rooster who can take my "spurs" (the scoop) off, but he definitely recognizes the object and responds to it.

Last edited:
I always use the broom. I like the broom as a weapon. As stated before, its plenty long enough, stiff enough to be affective but not so hard or sharp to be lethal or inflict serious injury.

I think consistency is the key. I have seen marked improvement in my roo over the past few days. I dont let him come to the coop to eat anymore when I am in there too. he gets it now, and leaves on his own when I go in, I dont even have to chase him out now. He goes out on his own, and as he sees me leaving, he returns to feed. Its almost miraculous. He keeps an eye on me, but from a good distance. No more sneaking up on me either. Good stuff

Wow - you tamed him! I can't tame my mean old rooster...I use a stout stick about 5' long and when he comes dancing around and assumes his 'attack' posture, I put the stick to his beak and rotate it round and round. Sometimes he carries out his attack, sometimes he walks off and sometimes I walk off. At one time he scared me, but not any more. I have learned to fight back or nip it as soon as he gets the 'look' about him, but I know better than to turn my back on him or go into the pen without a stick. My X husband used to be able to just walk around in the pen and Hannibal never did anything - walked right up to him and was not at all aggessive - until a couple of weeks ago. Now my X won't go into the pen without a stick! There is not another mean rooster in the pen and I have several...love them all really, even the old meany.

Quote:
I have a rooster stick...that's what I called mine. Never have to use it with this current roo....he got to see me school a previous roo and has never offered to try me on for size. But it's always nice to keep one handy...ya never really know about roos.

I'm glad you don't have to be afraid in your own chicken pen anymore....it feels good, don't it?
smile.png

Maybe lounged up against the lamp post on the corner in a leather jacked and lit a cigarette, that sort of thing.

Uzuri! Sooooooooo very funny!!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom