Mean rooster or normal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bluerosesd, May 28, 2018.

1. Bluerosesd

Bluerosesd Chirping

Feb 20, 2018
    South eastern Ky
    I have two roos. One is a blue Orpington and the other is a EE. The BO is a sweetheart and the EE is a cocky little fart. He soars with the hens and generally obnoxious to them. I haven’t seen him mount them often he is kinda smaller so the larger hens will peck him and send him on his way. I was going to make another lot and separate the EE from the others but now I am afraid he will be mean to the hens. How do I know if he will be to mean?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    What is he doing that’s mean?Vould you describe a little more?

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How old are your chickens? How many do you have? How are they being housed? Are they in a run, or do they free range? What is the behavior you're seeing as mean?

aart likes this.
  4. Bluerosesd

Bluerosesd Chirping

Feb 20, 2018
    South eastern Ky
    I have 15 chickens total with two roosters. They are in a 30x15 run I believe. My boyfriend is going to make me a whole other run for my EE rooster and 3 hens. Its the EE rooster that worries me. He is always is picking fights with the smaller ( EE ) hens. The larger hens ( blue orpingtons ) usually peck him and send him on his way when he picks fights with them. I am worried he is too agressive for three hens. They are all about 3 months old. The EE are a couple weeks younger than the rest. When I say picking a fight he will run at or fly over to a chicken or the other roo and puff up and his neck feathers will all stand out and they will face each other and kick and flap his wings. I havent seen much mounting going on but he likes to pick fights. The other roo dosent pick fights like the EE does. I am afraid if I put in in a run with the three EE he will be mean to them.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    That’s very normal.All chicks do that.That is how they make a pecking order and it really helps in the future to cause balance between the flock.But,that’s not saying hormones won’t kick in and they will both begin acting off.It takes a rooster soem tien to mature.Any bad behavior should be calmed down by atleast eight months,some can take a year or two to entirely mature.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Males usually fight a lot harder.Three months is usually when my males have their first big fight,usually after that that’s when things are usually calmed down,unless one decides they don’t like their place anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: