mean rooster?

Chick_Jimin

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
Hello, I have a rooster about 2 month old. I took him outside with my hens but he began to take some of their feathers. I got some crumbs ( on hands ) I gave it to him but then my hen got closer to get some, I tried to not let him peck her. He will look at her and then eat the crumbs but he will eat with fierce and hurt my hands. He will fight my hens even though they walk away from him. He will scratch me ( as if he was doing it on the dirt ) when a hen gets closer and then jump to my arms. Is he defending himself or is it a bad rooster?

What do you mean by he is attacking the hens? If he is climbing on their back that’s normal.if his nails bother you you can also clip them (like a dogs nails)

It's too early to tell. You need to give them a few days to get used to a male taking charge. To start with he will be antisocial. But in time he might start to care for them and even let them eat before he does. It depends but judging based on his behavior in the first hour is impossible. As long as he doesn't draw any blood I would just chalk it off as integrating squabbels.

I also overlooked he was only 2 months old. He is still a young boy and they can be a bit rougher than the girls but too young to judge how he will behave fully grown

Hello, I have a rooster about 2 month old. I took him outside with my hens but he began to take some of their feathers. I got some crumbs ( on hands ) I gave it to him but then my hen got closer to get some, I tried to not let him peck her. He will look at her and then eat the crumbs but he will eat with fierce and hurt my hands. He will fight my hens even though they walk away from him. He will scratch me ( as if he was doing it on the dirt ) when a hen gets closer and then jump to my arms. Is he defending himself or is it a bad rooster?
So you have how many hens(over one year old?)?
....and have added a 2 mo male to them?
Any introduction period before they had physical contact ?

Back
Top Bottom