Mean Roosters

Cln08

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2017
Okay suggestions, I have two roosters a blue Andalusian and a buff laced polish..... they are aprx 6-7 months old now. Every time mybkods go to the coop to collect eggs (I have to be with them) the roosters attack them AND my husband in the am when he lets them out for the AM.. they have never attacked me! How can I get them to adjust their attitude? Can I is it possible or is it time for them to go??

There are methods of adjusting their attitude that sometimes work; however, they should never be trusted around kids. Roosters tend to go for the faces of small kids. If they were mine (the roosters not the kids) they would either be eaten or given away.
That's exactly why I don't allow my kids in the coop without me, but I am thinking about eating them I just wanted some babies first was thinking about getting an incubator but now that my second rooster is also attacking I think it just might be time to say goodbye to them!! my daughter hates when they are jumping on my hens anyways!! just wasn't sure if I could do something to make them realize they aren't the boss!!

There are methods of adjusting their attitude that sometimes work; however, they should never be trusted around kids. Roosters tend to go for the faces of small kids. If they were mine (the roosters not the kids) they would either be eaten or given away.
How true. Our big roo pepper respects adults but runs the 50 yard dash at my grandson. They pick and choose their battles and go after the weakest link.

i butcher mean roosters. I have 4 kids, ranging from 13, to 1. All of my toddlers carry the chickens around, including the roosters. My kids generally leave the roosters alone, and my roosters leave them alone. If they don't... they get butchered.

I have at any given time 3-10 roosters running around. Since I've butchered most of the meaner ones over time, all the rooster offsprings have been around the kids and most of the roosters run from the kids.

Our turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese, and goats, all live together in harmony... our dogs live out with the birds, too, and my great pyr will bite their butts if they get too pushy with food. The kids can even walk around outside with snacks, and the birds will all follow them around, but won't try to steal it from them and will wait patiently.

If your roosters are attacking kids, butcher them. Because you can have nicer roosters.

Edited to add : I kept a silkie rooster, i had no use for, just because my 6 year old showed him at a 4h thing and would have been very upset with me, had I rehomed ging, just because he was a boy.

yes I am thinking I will be butchering them, they run after my four year old my kids know to stay away but its frustrating because the hens are so nice and the kids give them treats and hold them and the roosters are always watching their woman they evena ttack my husband.....so yes time for some stew!!!
I butcher mean roosters. I have 4 kids, ranging from 13, to 1. All of my toddlers carry the chickens around, including the roosters. My kids generally leave the roosters alone, and my roosters leave them alone. If they don't... they get butchered.

I have at any given time 3-10 roosters running around. Since I've butchered most of the meaner ones over time, all the rooster offsprings have been around the kids and most of the roosters run from the kids.

Our turkeys, chickens, ducks, geese, and goats, all live together in harmony... our dogs live out with the birds, too, and my great pyr will bite their butts if they get too pushy with food. The kids can even walk around outside with snacks, and the birds will all follow them around, but won't try to steal it from them and will wait patiently.

If your roosters are attacking kids, butcher them. Because you can have nicer roosters.

Edited to add : I kept a silkie rooster, i had no use for, just because my 6 year old showed him at a 4h thing and would have been very upset with me, had I rehomed ging, just because he was a boy.
t
f

Back
Top Bottom