Mean silkie

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
Currently im trying to rehome my two roosters, i love them but they keep managing to lossen their crow collars and i dont know what to do anymore.

But today i went to grab one of my bantom roosters and my silkie rooster grabbed onto my finger and drew blood, it wasnt a bad hit but i wasnt happy about it. Hes been acting up recently and i ended up pushing him away from me when he pecked me hard. He is always watching me and attempts to peck my fingers, he used to be so sweet but skittish, i dont know how to fix this and the only time i can even pet him without fear is when its late and they are getting ready for bed.

I would pefure to rehome him but I have thought about culling him, I cant give someone albeit a beautiful silkie whos a butt hole to others. Hes even started to bully my other rooster, although I dont know really how to stop that i just left them alone.

Ive tried to gain his trust with food but he either ingores it or goes for my hand.

He sounds a lot like my Cochin Bantam rooster who was initially bullied by a Booted Bantam rooster when both were chicks being raised together. I rehomed the bully, and his victim became a vicious, little jerk.

I always wear gloves and long pants when I have to go close to Billy, who is never allowed to free range during the day with others because he will seek me out and attack. When he used to be allowed loose with hens, he kept watch over the girls and would tidbit for them whenever he found food. BUT, he flogs me, any container with water, the food scoop, you name it. He also bites -- hard.

I have tried every solution I can think of. As you said, rehoming him is out of the question. Many folks would tell me to cull him because of his personality. He is a fairly young, healthy and beautiful rooster. I am letting him live out his life in a coop and run with two hens who previously lived with a full-sized rooster and can tolerate him.

I hope you find a workable solution.

He sounds a lot like my Cochin Bantam rooster who was initially bullied by a Booted Bantam rooster when both were chicks being raised together. I rehomed the bully, and his victim became a vicious, little jerk.

I always wear gloves and long pants when I have to go close to Billy, who is never allowed to free range during the day with others because he will seek me out and attack. When he used to be allowed loose with hens, he kept watch over the girls and would tidbit for them whenever he found food. BUT, he flogs me, any container with water, the food scoop, you name it. He also bites -- hard.

I have tried every solution I can think of. As you said, rehoming him is out of the question. Many folks would tell me to cull him because of his personality. He is a fairly young, healthy and beautiful rooster. I am letting him live out his life in a coop and run with two hens who previously lived with a full-sized rooster and can tolerate him.

I hope you find a workable solution.
I hope you find a solution aswell, i wish male animals were somewhat more docile then aggressive some days

Back
Top Bottom