Meat Animals (long)

Quote:
Wow, I haven't seen a feeder for under $50 in years.

NC is the 2nd highest pork producing state. We got more pigs than peoples. Price of feed everybody is unloading. My father in law took some feeders to the auction awhile back and got $13 each.

I haven't seen a price that low at any time in my life.
The cheapest one I ever got was when I was a kid in 4H back in the late 60's and I paid $25 for that one.
Sure wish I was in a position to snatch up some of those $13 deals right now, that's a no lose situation.

Thanks everybody!! I did not order Cornish X's, I ordered white rocks and cornish.

As far as goats go, I was planning on getting a few boer goats for meat and get a nigerian (or something like that) for a little milk and a pet. I did find a guy locally who sells goats and I'll be paying him a visit before long. :)
I haven't looked into geese but the other day my dad looked at me and said "why don't you get some geese?" This is not the same guy, he never used to ask me these things, lol. I will check into that.
Thanks everybody for your help, and greys, I'm a girl, lol.
:)

Are turkeys difficult to raise? My DH has this thing about getting a couple turkeys but I know nothing about them; barely know enough about chickens. Will they stay in the yard or do you have to pen them in? What sort of housing if any? I'm going to the hatchery 6/9 to pick up some chicks and maybe I could surprise him with a couple but I want to have all the fact. Thanks!

I have read in several magazines, that a small or miniature breed of cattle are very economical and have a high percentage of meat/ feed used. They do not need a large pasture either. I may look into them myself or maybe a couple of small goats for milk/cheese. We just got chickens, so will be sort of tied down with them anyway, so i guess the more the merrier:p

Settin'_Pretty :

Quote:
NC is the 2nd highest pork producing state. We got more pigs than peoples. Price of feed everybody is unloading. My father in law took some feeders to the auction awhile back and got $13 each.

The cheapest one I ever got was when I was a kid in 4H back in the late 60's and I paid $25 for that one.
Sure wish I was in a position to snatch up some of those $13 deals right now, that's a no lose situation.​

I have a customer that was just offered $7 for this week's weaning of 1,500 piglets. These are 21 day weaned pigs from a PRRS and Myco negative herd vaccinated for Circo and Ileitis. His contractor chose to break their contract so he has chosen to retain ownership so we are now scrambling to find him some nurseries.

Jim

Quote:
What about having cornish hens with other roosters? Will they produce the same as if it was a cornish rooster? We have a pheonix, and a RIR right now. I really don't want another rooster!

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Settin'_Pretty :

Quote:
Sure wish I was in a position to snatch up some of those $13 deals right now, that's a no lose situation.

I have a customer that was just offered $7 for this week's weaning of 1,500 piglets. These are 21 day weaned pigs from a PRRS and Myco negative herd vaccinated for Circo and Ileitis. His contractor chose to break their contract so he has chosen to retain ownership so we are now scrambling to find him some nurseries.

Jim

My father in law bough two guilts from the Swine Unit at NC State this morning. He had culled his sows and had a young boar. He paid $120 ea, they weighed around 230lbs.​

Back
Top Bottom