1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat Bird Feed for Standard Breed Chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by the_great_snag, Apr 24, 2009.

1. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Hey guys,

I am currently raising a couple of easter chicks I bought for my daughter that are Cornish X Rocks. As a result I bought a bag of meat bird feed for them.

I am expecting about 50 standard breed chicks on Monday from McMurray. Is it ok to feed them the same feed? They are all old school meaties, such as Dark Cornish, Delawares, Jersey Giants and Barred Rocks.

Since they are all destined for the freezer I want to fatten them as much as I can.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I would not, at least at first, I use chick started for my standard chicks,
    maybe you could mix the feed after you get them started on the chick starter?

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm assuming the meat bird feed you bought was a starter? If so than yes you will be fine. The only difference is the meat bird may not be medicated plus it's a higher protein which is what you want to do anyways as they are for meat.

Definately get a high protein feed for the surplus roosters you will be sorry you didn't as they will take forever to fill out.

Good luck,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by