Meat Bird Hybrids?

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello!
I am preparing/researching to start a flock of meat chickens. I currently have a flock of layers. I have been asking questions on this forum about a flock of meat chickens, that aren't CX. I would really like to be able to incubate and hatch my own chicks rather than buying CX. Maybe after trying this I will want Cornish X:idunno. So, I think I have come to the conclusion to breed a small combination of chickens to make the birds right for what I need. I already have an orpington, and I was thinking of getting some sort of faverolles, jersey giant, wyandotte, or brahma rooster and let it breed with the orpington. Does anybody have experience with this? If so, do you have any recommendations? Mostly I am looking for a good, meaty bird that lays a few eggs. Thank you! (Also I live in a pretty variant climate that throughout the year can get down into the teens in the winter and then rise up to the nineties in the summer)

If you going for meat birds other than x crosses, you need breeds that mature faster like Plymouth rocks, New Hamsters, Delaware, and American Bresse. http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf.

I am planning on crossing my Breese male chicks with mature Heritage breeds when they get old enough. I have Australorps, Cuckoo Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, and Barbeziuex.

I would run with American Besse if I had to choose one.

Last edited:
If you going for meat birds other than x crosses, you need breeds that mature faster like Plymouth rocks, New Hamsters, Delaware, and American Bresse. http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf.

I am planning on crossing my Breese male chicks with mature Heritage breeds when they get old enough. I have Australorps, Cuckoo Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, and Barbeziuex.

I would run with American Besse if I had to choose one.
Thank you!

I don't know much about them, but I have heard of people wanting these for meat birds. Red Rangers. Again, I don't know much about them, just that they are meatbirds.

My Bresse chicks are growing faster and are more filled in than other heritage breeds that I have worked with. If you can grow a lot of them, they can be harvested early like the pound and a half Cornish game birds we see in our super markets. The mature weight are 6 to 7 pounds and they are good egg layers and the hens lay egg a month before other heritage breeds. I'd say they grow around a pound a month.

Last edited:
My barred hen got in with my juvenile Faverolles. We unwittingly incubated the egg and the chick has feathered feet and is HUGE! Three times bigger than it's hatch mate, a pure barred which hatched one day earlier than him.
And he is FIESTY!

Is this extraordinary size an anomoly?

He's already nearly as big as the barred we hatched out one month prior.

Does anyone have experience with this cross?

My barred hen got in with my juvenile Faverolles. We unwittingly incubated the egg and the chick has feathered feet and is HUGE! Three times bigger than it's hatch mate, a pure barred which hatched one day earlier than him.
And he is FIESTY!

Is this extraordinary size an anomoly?

He's already nearly as big as the barred we hatched out one month prior.

Does anyone have experience with this cross?
Is it growing like the cornish cross hybrids?

Back
Top Bottom