Meat bird pricing?

little_grey_bantam

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Russell County
I'm going to raise a few more meat birds this coming year and was wanting to sell the few I don't plan on putting into the freezer. I was wanting to know what a good price would be?

How much would you charge for a dressed bird? A dead bird (some people don't mind cleaning, but don't want to kill them)? Or a live bird?

Just curious. Thanks!

Figure out what it cost you to raise them and decide from there how much to charge. I did a batch of meat birds which cost me $1.41 per pound to raise. I charge $2 a lbs for those who want to buy. I am not looking to get rich but recouping some of my cost is nice. Also look and what others are selling for in your area.

Here, a dressed and sharp frozen cornish x about 6 to 7 pounds sell for 10.00 each. I'm happy to get them for that price. You have to have your order in by Jan.1st or you don't get any. I'm ordering 25, 6 for myself and the rest for my brother and a friend. They are good too. I won't eat a store bought chicken. Haven't for about 20 yrs. They are yucky!!!!!!!!
cool.png

3.5 - 4 lb dressed chicken sells for $10.00

I couldn't make money raising them to 6-7 pounds and selling them for $10.00 nor could I make much money only making $0.60 / lb.

You have to charge a premium price, don't be afraid to ask for it. But do be prepared to defend your product and explain how it's different and why it's better. People will listen and if they are worth keeping as a customer they will gladly pay what you ask.

Also we sell ours live, dead, or dressed all for the same price.

Good luck

if i can get grain for 11 dollars for 75 pounds chicks for .93 cents a bird and a process cost of 1.25 a bird if i sell broilers at 7 weeks old for anything over 5 im makin money i was told one broiler only eat 10-12lbs of grain in 7 weeks:lol: but im jus gonna add my expenses up at the end on 30 of them and set my prices to make a profit since i already no i can make money on em The biggest thing is your feed cost

Around here most farmers are selling their birds between $3 - $4lb. I am falling in around the lower range until I get a good base. Then I will see where that takes me. But the prices I put out their are $3.25lb and have orders for 100 already. So I am sure I will be doing a few hundred chickens this coming year.

I also have already presold 15 turkeys at $4.50 lb. And I told all customers that if the bird peaks 15lb or more the rate will be at 15lbs max. That made them very happy.

How on earth are some of the others feeding and processing.? I live in rural Idaho and had $10.00 into each bird without figuring in fuel to get feed (54 miles away) or fuel to take them to the processor (another 64 miles away). I bought feed in bulk and it was still $10 per 50 lbs. I got my chicks for $.65 each plus shipping and $2.40 each for process. I did raise my birds to a 6 lb average but your time has to be worth something. Around here, not a fancy or high end area, dressed birds go for $3.50 to $4.00 per pound. People are always asking me for my extras which I no longer share due the time we have into each one. From now on we only raise them for us and for family, at least then I am not so frustrated about how much time we spend keeping them fed, watered and clean.

Good luck, can't wait to hear what you decide.

I had 60 cornish rocks last summer and had $7.89 per bird in them.
Cost of chicks feed and freezer bags. I done all the work and sold half to the neighbor for cost we split 50/50 and they help us on butchering day.
I had several people want to buy birds but I have no idea what to charge. I would guess at least $10.00 per bird.
I am looking to do turkeys this year and would like to sell some.
Very good thread thanks

I buy feed from my local mill by the 1/2 ton. That saves me greatly on feed. Comes to roughly $0.12lb. Which is way cheaper than buying by the 50 lb bag rate here. And it save me from running to the mill every week. I run once per month right now to pick up 1/2 ton and it lasts just about 4 weeks.

I processed my first birds with a processor and he worked with on the cost because I helped out and he didn't have to use any of his own labor. That rate include bags but was still worth it the first go round. And a good experience for me. Now I have a partner that is helping me next year and it will just be the two of us and hopefully we will have a plucker and scalder by then.

And if you process yourself you save that $2.40 per bird and that is a big savings when you multiply by bird.

For the stuff on order for next year already, I told people they would have to supply their own bags or come with ice filled coolers to keep the cost low for them. And most understood. I am following the Salatin method. Also, we left necks attached and pulled out hearts, gizzards and livers and did not include them. If they want it and it is worth while they will come.

I am also trying to start within reason as I don't have a lot of property. Only a little over an acre. And my neighbors have been good to me and I to them. Gave them birds and eggs as often as I can. Makes them smile and any concerns they have I address ASAP.

And I also have a local hatchery that will deliver to my feed mill at no charge. Cost per bird is $0.52.

Back
Top Bottom