Meat bird questions

Will they survive to 9 weeks?

• Total voters

Carsonshoup03

Hatching
Jan 6, 2021
Before I start yes I guess it’s too late in the year for raising meat birds but, I have facts to back myself up for raising them, anyways, to my real question, will my Cornish cross make it to 9 weeks (aka next Saturday) I have 8 left of 12 and their weight is going smoothly, I weighed them today and of course I have one runt at 5 lbs 4 ounces, two hens at 7 pounds 7 ounces and and the rest of the roosters are between 8 pounds exact and 8 pounds 7 ounces... I just wanna know if they’ll make it, my butcher date for this weekend was ruined due to snow, but, I’m assuming they’ll put on more weight? If so how much?!?!? Thank you!

Sorry, must have missed that. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as they are healthy now. Yes, they'll put on a bit more weight, but feed conversion has already dropped off. If you're worried about them getting too big and having health issues because of it, you could always restrict their feed by taking it away at night and replacing it in the morning until your butcher date.

Sorry, must have missed that. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as they are healthy now. Yes, they'll put on a bit more weight, but feed conversion has already dropped off. If you're worried about them getting too big and having health issues because of it, you could always restrict their feed by taking it away at night and replacing it in the morning until your butcher date.
Ok thank you! I will try the restricting feed thing middle of next week probably, I want them to gain a little more, bigger the bird the better in my opinion, thanks again!

Just out of curiosity. You made a comment, it's too late in the year to raise meat birds.
I can see where living up north in winter climates may make things a bit more difficult, but couldn't you really raise them year round in warmer climates, say like Texas, Florida, etc?

It just never occurred to me that raising birds would be seasonal, If so, I still have a lot to learn here.

Thank you
Aaron

it's too late in the year to raise meat birds.

I don't know why the OP made that comment, what context they were using. As far as I'm concerned we all have different conditions, including climate, so we can get different results. Winter can be rough for some people, especially if they use tractors and like to pasture them. Hard to do when there is snow on the ground or grass isn't growing.

Where you are you may find that the heat of summer is not a great time of year to raise them. Winter could work out pretty well.

it's too late in the year to raise meat birds.

I don't know why the OP made that comment, what context they were using. As far as I'm concerned we all have different conditions, including climate, so we can get different results. Winter can be rough for some people, especially if they use tractors and like to pasture them. Hard to do when there is snow on the ground or grass isn't growing.

Where you are you may find that the heat of summer is not a great time of year to raise them. Winter could work out pretty well.

can I ask what you mean by OP? Not trying to start nothing, but if you’re being rude bout me saying something, then why’s there a need to comment on my post? Anyways, I say most people don’t raise in the winter is grass feed and I didn’t want to have the majority of the folks on my butt in here for raising in the winter, as far as I am concerned I’m fine with raising in the winter, I let them out on sunny warm days and they fertilize my yard and pasture, sorry if you wasn’t being rude, but I was just asking a question that’s a simple answer...

Just out of curiosity. You made a comment, it's too late in the year to raise meat birds.
I can see where living up north in winter climates may make things a bit more difficult, but couldn't you really raise them year round in warmer climates, say like Texas, Florida, etc?

It just never occurred to me that raising birds would be seasonal, If so, I still have a lot to learn here.

Thank you
Aaron

yes you could raise them all year, my statement was just for the “grass only” people, I raise mine anytime and plan on doing it the rest of my life, I’m learning as I’m 17 years old, this’ll be my second butchering, I just had a simple question, as far as I’m concerned you can raise them anytime.

Thank you
Aaron
If you go on YouTube and watch Justin Rhodes, he raises strictly in the spring through summer as he is a grass only grower, i personally don’t care as meat is meat, and, the way the world is, I might need food at any time!

Back
Top Bottom