Meat bird questions

tim1970

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
I just found out I have a place within 40 miles of me, that will process birds. So I have a few questions.

1. It appears the Jumbo cornish X are the choice to go with. Do I get straight run? Does it really make a difference as far as taste? I realize the hens will be about a week behind in growth.

2. Can these jumbo cornish breed ok? In other words, If I want to keep a few hens and a rooster, and incubate their eggs to keep a constant supply is this possible?

Thanks for the help

Tim

What are they a cross of? Do I have any options to breed my own?

Thanks

When I ordered St. run I got 80% females not 50- 50,
It did'nt bother me, all taste to same.
They do better if you raise them, when it's not the hottest time of the year. They poop alot more than other chickens.

Good luck
smile.png

I'm having one of mine for supper.

Quote:
You will just barely be able to tell pullets apart from cockrels at eight weeks. So it makes absolutely no difference. The straight gives you some variation in finished weights, too, which is nice for meal planning.

Cornish Cross is the standard way to go. You may have issues with flock health, vigor, etc. or have leg problems crop up. If you have trouble with it, many people use slower growing broilers which have better disease resistance. It just really depends on your climate and growing conditions.

Quote:
No, they are hybrids and will not "breed true". They are crossed between industrial strains of Cornish sires and Plymouth Rock hens, all of which are proprietary and secret. You cannot make your own Cornish Crosses, at least not without a lot of generations of selected breeding. The big guys have 50 years of selective breeding under their belt; you do not.

A lot of people tell me they want to keep a "meat bird flock" then just take-out a bird when they feel hungry. This is not at all practical with broilers. First of all, they require different feed from your hens. So, you need them to be separate for that reason. Secondly, they will grow to immense proportions if you keep them longer than about 9-10 weeks. They'll likely drop dead soon thereafter due to heart attack, strokes or seizures.

With modern vacuum sealing technology, it's far better to grow meat chicksn in "crops" and freeze, then use as needed. About 8 weeks before your freezer is bare, start another crop.

Back
Top Bottom