Meat birds and Layers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tiadragon, May 22, 2008.

1. tiadragon

tiadragon New Egg

May 21, 2008
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but I figured I would start here so as not to offend any sensitivities on the Layer-Only side...

Briefly, we bought 4 straight run chicks who are now almost 6 weeks. Turns out, 2 BPR are roos, which we can't keep in the city. Our plan was to cull any roos by making them meat birds (with a good life!)

So my question is, can we keep the meat birds and the layers together? We currently just have a tractor, so there's a space issue, and I also believe that meat birds are supposed to get a different diet (?)

All help is appreciated!!

Tia

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well, in order to get the roos to a decent weight, they'll need to be 15+ weeks and you should get them on a broiler ration ASAP. You could also just keep them on their starter for that duration, but it will probably cost you a few extra bucks.

By 15 weeks, they'll be roosters and will harass your pullets. This may or may not matter to you. But it will be sterssful on the pullets.

3. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Very good answer. And usually well before the 15 weeks. My father now in his mid 70's keeps telling me to process the roosters at 3½ #s. But I cage them seperately from my hens and wait until I need one. Plus it's weight really depends on the breed of bird. My bantams never get above 2¼ #s.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by