Meat Birds Shelter/Space

ThriftyBarber

Hatching
Sep 26, 2021
NorthEastern Wisconsin
Im very new to meat birds , I have came to conclusion that i will build my meat birds there own free range space ,coop and run. Im having a hard time finding information on if i need a nesting box or not if the same rules apply 1 chicken per 1 foot of roost . I understand we will be processing chickens roughly at the 8 week mark and normal chickens dont start laying eggs till roughly 6 months of age . So im assuming i dont need a nest box what so ever, But what im thinking is say i have a 4x8 coop for my broilers is 24 chickens still going to be my limit or with such a short life span are roosting poles a must have? Thanks in advance

If you're talking about Cornish X there are two things to consider,

First, they're barely more than babies in a very large brooder when butchering time comes.

Second, they're HUGE babies, who will make massive quantities of poop so you'll want to spread that out over plenty of space if possible.

It's unlikely that they'll roost at all, but if they do you'll have to take into consideration their physical size when providing the space.

If you're talking about Cornish X there are two things to consider,

First, they're barely more than babies in a very large brooder when butchering time comes.

Second, they're HUGE babies, who will make massive quantities of poop so you'll want to spread that out over plenty of space if possible.

It's unlikely that they'll roost at all, but if they do you'll have to take into consideration their physical size when providing the space.
Thank you , I haven’t even consider what breed of meat bird yet thanks for pointing that out im sure that will have a impact on the size of the coop even. Just collecting information through the upcoming winter. I’m planning to add to my flock after spring showers.

There are three different types of meat birds, each have their own requirements. You can raise Cornish X, Ranger types, or dual purpose. That's your first decision or you can get a few of each and see which suits your purposes better. They are quite different.

Cornish X are typically butchered around 6 to 8 weeks of age though some people wait longer. They grow so big so fast they can hurt their legs jumping off of a roost, though some people may give them something to stand on that is a couple of inches high. I don't consider a roost necessary if they even use it. You don't need a nest either. About all you are looking for is shelter for predator and weather protection. Cornish X are eating machines which means they are pooping machines. Poop management can be a big issue. Some people get them to forage for some of their food but many just lay in front of the feeders and eating, with occasional visits for water. If you decide on Cornish X there are several people on here that can help you with this.

Dual purpose are a lot like your laying flock but you have all kinds of options with them. They are going to be a lot slower to grow and will be more active. What age will you butcher, will you just butcher boys or will you raise some girls for the pot? You probably should give them roosts. If you have only boys or butcher the girls young enough nests are not required. Girls don't grow very fast or get big but a few of us eat them. If you want to try dual purpose my suggestion is to order a bunch of males, forget the girls. I hatch mine so I get both.

The Rangers are in between the Cornish X and dual purpose but closer to the Cornish X. They are pretty much designed to grow just a bit slower than the Cornish X and do better on pasture. Instead of butchering at 6 to 8 weeks you might butcher at 12 weeks or so. You have a bit more flexibility about that. You still need to manage the poop but it's not as bad. You will not need nests and if you provide any roosts I'd keep them very low.

I'm not sure where you get that a 4x8 coop is good for 24 chickens? If you let them out each day so they are not locked in there except at night, it's not a coop, it is a shelter. These rigid rules that some people seem to have for space don't apply. I think you are still going to find that the shelter is pretty crowded.

Back
Top Bottom