Meat birds vs. laying flock....different feed??

dulcimer lady

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
I'm raising some white rocks to use as meat. This is the first meat flock I've raised, I've always just raised egg layers. Someone told me that I'm supposed to feed my meat birds differently than my layers? First I've heard of that so could someone here enlighten me?

Yes you need to feed differently.
If you start them off as chicks, maybe try starting the ones you want for meat on a broiler feed which you can find at your feed store and usually contains 20% protein, versus regular chick starter which is a little lower.
Or you might try feeding them Turkey/ gamebird starter as this has 28% proteinit will help them develop faster and gain more muscle.

I had meat birds last year, feed them Flock Raiser as it has 20% you can also give this to the rest of your flock but you will need to have oyster shell on the side for the hens I also feed Flock Raiser if any hens go broody so the chicks can eat the same thing the hens are eating.

Do you have White Rocks or Cornish Rock Crosses?
If you have Cornish Rock Crosses then you would want to feed them a Game bird feed that is around 22 to 28 present protein.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom