1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Meat birds with egg layers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by firstbatch, Jun 7, 2010.

1. firstbatch

firstbatch In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Brand new to chickens. I got 25 meat birds, and 6 layers. They arrived yesterday and are great. Can the stay together in the same cozy place or do I need to separate them? I was also unable to get my hands on higher protein starter for the meat birds - so they are all eating the same starter for now. Where can I look for the food for the meat birds? Live in Washington State. Thanks for any tips.

2. bnentrup

bnentrup Songster

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:For feed: you can simply use maps.google.com - place your zip code, and type 'feed store' - here is a search results for the Seattle area:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...288,-122.332764&spn=1.990733,4.938354&t=h&z=8

you can pan the screen to your area and find the closest listings in your area. I had a local store that was able/willing to mix up to 36% ration chick starter... they will mix it down with filler per your ration request (20-24% seems to be what most here are using). They quoted me $16 per 50lb for the 36% chicken nutrient bag, and $10 for the 24% mixed 50lb bag. I am using 24% for now, until their body weights are up to average.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Meat birds will be pretty poopy vs layers, so with that many meaties, I would separate them. You can grow them both up on start and grow. Google maps is good to find your stuff. I usually go to the Everett Cenex. Last time I bought chick feed, think it was about 20 bucks for a 50 lb bag.

4. firstbatch

firstbatch In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, will do some searching. Any input as to whether i need to separate them? or can they all stay together, wondering if the meat birds would out eat the others and they would be hungry.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. bnentrup

bnentrup Songster

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:I have read many opinions on here, and someone recently that allowed her Broody hen to raise her cornish X in the field with GREAT results. Others claim that other layers/birds mixed in teach the cornish how to freerange (if indeed you are going to mix any free-ranging in with your cornish). Most cornish are lazy/bred to be lazy and eat.. and therefore will hog the feeders.

Therefore, the answer is 'it-depends' on your space and if you are going to free-range your birds to any degree. I think the last poster was recommending to go ahead and start them the same...and they should be fine for a few weeks if you constantly keep feed and water available and have adequate feeding/watering space.

6. snewman

snewman Songster

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I always raise mine all together and haven't had any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by