Meat Birds with Egg Layers

Hazard

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
MASS
Hi everyone....new here.

I have been getting educated these past months in anticipation for my very first order of chicks in the spring. I am in a residential neighborhood on 1 1/2 acres, but don't want to cause problems with the neighbors so will only be ordering females. Ideally I just want a coop of about 7-8mix of breed hens for the enjoyment....and the eggs. because of minimum orders with hatcheries I have to order 25. So I plan to get the rest as all meat birds Cornish X-Rock and butcher them out when the time comes.

My question is raising meat birds and egg layers together. I see that they basically have different diets from day one. Does that mean I have to keep them seperate the entire time? From brooder to butcher? That kind of seems like a hastle. Am I missing something here? Let me know the best way to go about this if you could. Thanks!!!

I don't know about keeping them seperate or together, but I do know there are hatcheries that ship as few as 3 chicks (usually for a slightly higher fee). I would look at other hatcheries to see if you can get away with only ordering what you need and save some of the hassle/expense of the extra 16-17 birds!

welcome-byc.gif

In the springtime, not all hatcheries require the customary 25 min. order. I know Ideal Hatchery has a min. dollar amount, not a min. chick amount. The last time I ordered from them, this past June, I ordered 14, requested that no males "packing peanuts" be added for warmth, requested extra straw be added, and I got 14 chicks.

Other hatcheries are doing the same thing now. You'd have to check with the one you are interested in ordering from. Keep in mind that sexing at the hatcheries is only 90% accurate, at best. That's how I became the proud owner of a naughty little cockerel named Impy (used to be Rosie). I hadn't intended on having a second roo.

Can you raise meat birds with layer birds? Yes, I've done it. I would advise against it. It's not easy. The meaties can't eat all the time, they'll eat themselves into an early grave. Yet it's necessary and prudent to keep food in front of layer chicks all the time. I think I was filling feeders non-stop for the first few months.
barnie.gif
I spent the same amount of time getting the meaties outside, out from in front of the feeders, as much as possible to give them something to do with their time other than stuff their beaks. Also, what goes in must come out and omg! can meaties put out the poop.

If you are interested primarily in layers, I would get layers period. I've enjoyed my meaties immensely, but wish I hadn't had to raise them with the layer chicks.

yuckyuck.gif
haha! I know that my pet chicken lets you order only three. But you have to live in a "bigger" city and it costs extra.

Last edited:
You can raise them together. The higher proteins of feed will not harm the layers. it will just help them grow.

Just remove the feed at night if you are even concerned with the broilers growing to quickly. You will have no ill effects from this other than slightly slower grow rates.

Thanks all for the help. The more I think about it, I probably will look for a utility breed instead of a hybrid meat bird. That way there is no issue. Im not concerned about rasing a great feed conversion bird. I just want chickens!!! I don't know why, but I am partial to want to order from Murray McMurray (25 min chick order). I have no experiance with any of the hatcheries...they just look very organized and professional with a nice selection of breeds. I will look to get my 8 hens, 7-8 birds for the freezer and give the rest away to someone local. Surely someone would want a handfull of free chicks I would think...

Back
Top Bottom