meat birds

like said above...you wouldn’t caponize birds that you harvest in 8 weeks...only dual purpose birds that you raise until the girls start to lay. supposed to be better. i don’t know...but i am a dentist and do a lot of minutia type surgery...so it looks easy and figured i’d caponize half the cockerels and do a side by side taste test. if it doesn’t taste different, why bother?
i’m also curious about learning new things...especially when it’s something of an art and being lost between generations. i am the 7th generation making sauerkraut where i live along with summer sausage, salami, meat sticks, beer and venison prosciutto. in my mind, these are staple items that people just buy today and no longer know how to make.

i’m also curious about learning new things...especially when it’s something of an art and being lost between generations. i am the 7th generation making sauerkraut where i live along with summer sausage, salami, meat sticks, beer and venison prosciutto. in my mind, these are staple items that people just buy today and no longer know how to make.
ironically, these foods are so simple...i definitely over science it...but at the core...they are very basic

like said above...you wouldn’t caponize birds that you harvest in 8 weeks...only dual purpose birds that you raise until the girls start to lay. supposed to be better. i don’t know...but i am a dentist and do a lot of minutia type surgery...so it looks easy and figured i’d caponize half the cockerels and do a side by side taste test. if it doesn’t taste different, why bother?

It would be great if you'd document the experiment and write up an article when it's finished.

I’d love to read an update to this; I’m thinking of abandoning Bresse due to the noise (they are the loudest birds I’ve ever had and mature early). I didn’t dare to consider caponising them, but if it’s not too difficult, I might just consider it.

I’d love to read an update to this; I’m thinking of abandoning Bresse due to the noise (they are the loudest birds I’ve ever had and mature early). I didn’t dare to consider caponising them, but if it’s not too difficult, I might just consider it.
i’ll update you in a couple weeks

I’d love to learn more about how your Caponizing experience goes and how the meat compares to your “control” subjects. I’m an RVT so it’s definitely something that I’d like to consider doing when we get the opportunity to raise a batch of meat birds.
i just put them into the coop. i want to be confident on which birds are cockerels

Back
Top Bottom