Meat chickens and trying to keep coop clean.

Ours looks not too dissemilar to patimekiller's second one except that it's hardware cloth and metal electrical tubing poles wired together. We put wheels in the back to move it. They fit into the tubing and then we take them back off. Ours is 8' x 10'. We ran 30 red broilers in it and also had 6 pullets and 4 buff orpingtons living in there.
love.gif
: Angelique

Last edited:
Best pred. Proof. Is the wife with the 12 gauge and she can shoot. Must be something bout them country girls.
wink.png
no bottom on thoes pens
They are sitting right on the ground the wheels just lift it during transport.

O by the way if you haven't found out meat birds do 3 things well they drink , eat slot , and supply you with more fertilizer than a herd of cows. You will wonder where it all comes from. A small moviable pen sounds like what you need or a coop with a hardware cloth bottom so the droppings fall in one pile.

I raise my meaties 25 at a time in a 12 x 12 box stall. The stall has two solid sides, one side is open to the interior of the barn and the exterior wall is solid half way and open at the top. In other words, there is plenty of ventilation. I clean the stall once. Period. And that is after the meaties have all gone to freezer camp. I do not fork or stir the litter. I just add shavings as necessary. Usually once a week or so. The bedding stays dry and there is no odor. I do live in a dry climate. That may make a difference. I use hanging feeders and waterers. Our meaties are a real low labor project.

Well I am going to come up with something to make our next batch more low maintenance than this batch has been that is for sure. I just don't think I have enough area for a chicken tractor. I am dealing with a fox right now so I can't imagine having chickens outside in a tractor at night.

My 8x8 tractor holds 25 birds well. I move it every day after work. The area they were in a week ago is clean enough already for them to go back.

If your coop is not moveable, the first thing you need to do is stop using shavings, period. Line the bottom of the coop with hay, not straw. The roos will eat the hay, scratch thru the hay and keep the poop down on the bottom where it will mix with the dirt, instead of just laying on the top like it does with shavings. You also need plenty of ventilation to help keep down the ammonium smell. Your birds will stay much cleaner also.

My coop has a wood floor not dirt. So right now I am going in and putting down new shavings over the top. I am going to have a big pile of compost to deal with in a few weeks. I want to clean that all out though real good then we are going to take down a little partion we have in the doorway and open the whole coop up for my layers. When we do another batch in Sept. my husband said we will put them somewhere else. I have 2 windows in there now with hardware cloth on them and most days the door is wide open for my pullets to come in and out.

Back
Top Bottom