Meat chicks /Grit?

Walker Farm

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Garner, NC
Do meat chicks require grit? I got my chicks on 12/23 and they currently are inside a large shed. They have not been outside yet. They pretty much have feathers, I'm in NC and we had a cold snap 21-24 at night. It's warmer in the day here this weekend 53-60. Should I let them out during the day? My first try at meat birds, they are Freedom Rangers.

If they are fully feathered then I am they are 6 plus weeks should be fine outside. Let them, and observe them - if they huddle together and do not eat or explore then they are too cold, but if they wonder around doing regular chicken things then they are fine. As long as you do allow your chicks outside then it's not to vital to give them grit, but there's no reason why you should not do.

Ct

If you're just feeding commercial feed, it isn't necessary. If they're outside regularly, it isn't necessary.

If they were day old chicks on the 23rd, they are a little young to take out the brooder. 4-5 weeks is usually when I put birds out. NC isn't cold by chicken standards, so ignore the weather once they're of age.

I received them in the mail on 12/23, so they were probably 5 days old. They have never been outside. I have 25 chicks. How much food should they be getting daily? I know they eat and eat but I don't want to over feed them. I have stadium size cups to scoop with. I do want to encourage them to forage as I expect them to go out within another few weeks. According to the info on this bird they will be ready for processing in 9-11 weeks. They are definitely growing faster than my layers.

For optimal weight gain they sound have free access to food throughout the day. If you are growing them for profit, then I have read here that around 140g per per bird is about right. Personally I give my flock free access to food throughout the day even though they free range.

Ct

Back
Top Bottom