Meat pheasants?

4yearsofchickens

Songster
Sep 22, 2020
South Central Pennsylvania
I am thinking about raising meat chickens sometime in the future (not sure when yet) and my brother mentioned that he wants to grow meat pheasants...is that a thing? If so, could they be raised with my meat chickens? And what is their butchering age? Like, could they be butchered at the same time? My main worries are bullying- will the chickens bully the pheasants or vice versa? And feeding- do they need a different feed? Also I'm afraid I'll get stuck taking care of them bc my brother isn't exactly a farmer😆 If anyone has done this please give me your thoughts and experiences. I would be raising them in a chicken tractor on the grass. I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it on the meat bird forum too bc I want as much feedback as possible. Thanks in advance!😁

Pheasants need far more room than chickens - a tractor will never work, they need different feed, different species/different social structures will lead to pecking/fighting, disease transmission, and your brother is going to stick you with all of the work/problems.

Pheasants need far more room than chickens - a tractor will never work, they need different feed, different species/different social structures will lead to pecking/fighting, disease transmission, and your brother is going to stick you with all of the work/problems.
Nothing to add.... @sourland has said it well! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom