Meat rabbits

hilltopchicks77

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Hey were new to meat rabbits! Getting a pair from a breeder. I have a choice between Californians or Cali/silver fox cross (no purebreds of those). Or I could do one of each. Any opinions?

As weight Goes there about the same I quickly looked up both breeds They're both similar and wait though the silver foxes are harder to find Or you could do like you said 1 of each Depends on what you're looking for with both meat and for quality Are you looking to tan the Hides or discard them If you're just wanting the meet then it doesn't really matter hope this helps

As weight Goes there about the same I quickly looked up both breeds They're both similar and wait though the silver foxes are harder to find Or you could do like you said 1 of each Depends on what you're looking for with both meat and for quality Are you looking to tan the Hides or discard them If you're just wanting the meet then it doesn't really matter hope this helps
I just wasn’t sure if there was a reason to go purebreds vs mixed breed

Depends On your personal preference Some people just like purebred I have What I think is a rex And I'm looking for a female to me all that matters is if both are healthy And have a good body to meet ratio it does not matter what breed they are to me

I just wasn’t sure if there was a reason to go purebreds vs mixed breed
The reason is mostly personal preference and what you're going to do with the rabbits you raise. In my case, I chose cinnamon rabbits for their handsome looks and good meat to bone ratio. If you have purebred animals, which mine are, then you can sell the offspring to others who may want to show them or breed purebred rabbits.
If you only want meat animals and have no interest in showing, or continuing that specific breed, then it doesn't matter...start with one, cross-breed if you think your mixed animals have larger litters, or heavier carcasses, or whatever. It's just whatever you want to do with them.

The nice thing about pure Californians is they all look alike - when choosing who to breed and who to cull, you won't be distracted by color or markings.

The nice thing about pure Californians is they all look alike - when choosing who to breed and who to cull, you won't be distracted by color or markings.
That is true. I kinda like the look of the silver fox better but she only has them in mixes. I could probably spend longer looking but this place is convenient and the price is right and basically it’s easy and I’m not sure how dead set I am on the meat rabbits so I won’t be super financially invested if I go with this person. Seems like both rabbits are about the same size so I might let my kids pick (yes they know they’re meat animals)

Californians were bred specifically to have the best meat/bone ratio of any breed. But, since a lot of people aren't breeding to the standard, whether that holds true in every rabbitry is hard to say.

I will say this - if there is any chance of somebody getting too attached to the rabbits (you know what I mean), it's generally harder to feel that connection with the ones with pink eyes. For a lot of people, they look like "nobody home."

Back
Top Bottom