1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat spots in many eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sarah86, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Sarah86

Sarah86 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Hello,

I was looking for a little more info on meat spots.I know theyre ok to eat and what they are. I cannot find what causes them other then being an older layer.

My chickens are just over a year old and we have been getting meat spots for most of the time they have layed. We have 5 laying right now and out of 5 eggs/day there is probably 3 eggs with meat spots in them.

Thanks so much!!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Can you pin point who is laying them?
    What breeds do you have?
    Are the spots bigger or tiny?...pics might help.

More info on your flock,
    number/ages, coop/run sizes (feet by feet), what and how exactly you are feeding,
    all might help offer a clue.

3. Sarah86

Apr 13, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I cannot pinpoint who is laying them. we have 5 isa browns in our coop. The coop itself is 12ft by 6 ft. It is a horse stall. We dont have horses just the chickens in there.
    I feed them layer ratio from Co-Op or UFA. (The tag is not on the bag anymore but I believe its 17%)
    The girls are just over 1 year old. The meat spots range in size but mostly smaller pieces but many of them.
    I cooked eggs this morning and didnt see any. But I will add some when I get an egg with them.
    Thanks so much for the help!

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Meat spots are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface when it’s being formed or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct… Eggs with blood spots and meat spots are fit to eat.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It could be because they are high production birds that they are more likely to have meat spots.....they can have more reproductive issues than less productive birds.

Yep..exactly.

6. Sarah86

Apr 13, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks so much! I knew they are ok to eat . (company doesnt like them though) Makes sense theyre pushing out an egg a day so it must be tough on their little bodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by