Meatbirds in the FR layer flock

Riparian

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Ontario Canada
Ive just finished my first batch of 20 white rock cornish x. They turned out really well and I was quite pleased with the result.

This time I would like to try raising another type of meatbird other than the cornish x. The hatchery closest to me (Freys hatchery, Ontario Canada) has what they call a "dual purpose" which I belive is similar to the "Red Bro" or the "Freedom Ranger".

Anyways, I also have a small layer flock of 10 week old hens and a few roosters (two roos soon to be culled) that free range in the day and get locked up at night.

It would be nice to do the same with the meatbirds as well, but will they co-exist with my rooster until they get to slaughter weight? I am thinking not.

I am currently pondering other options such as a tractor, enlcose the layers in a run, enclose the meatbirds in a run, etc.

i am getting ready to do my first set of meats. I have 15 jumbos waiting on their day (probably this weekend). They are not quite as big as I would like but it had been in the mid 90's steady and I dont want to loose them.

Uh oh. Thats not an answer I was looking for. Especially since they are coming tommorow morning.
sad.png

Guess I should have researched that a bit more, but I was going on their description of the breed.

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.freyshatchery.com/index1.html

If you click "chickens", then "breeds" you will find their description of their "special dual purpose" It says that the females will grow to approx 6 lbs at 15 weeks and the males approx 8 lbs.

I prefer birds that are in the 6 to 8 lb range.

Any input would be appreaciated.

Quote:
Which kind did you get?

If you had good results with the cornish x, why do you want to make the change? If they said 6 lbs in 15 weeks, you surely did better with the cornish x.

I did well with the cornish x and I ordered another 20 along with the 20 special dual purpose. I wanted try raising another type of meat breed other than cornish x for comparison.

Has anyone else ever raised the Frey's special dual purpose for meat before? I fear I have made a mistake. Oh well, I guess in 15 weeks I will have 20 soup chickens to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom