Meatie Time! Updated-Everything is okay

Quote:
How can it not be their fault? I didn't request small and weak chicks. The description of their chicks says they are among the best in the country, so I expected strong chicks. I'm just not seeing how you can justify saying that. Now had they said, the first few hatches may have weaker chicks than later in the season, I would have been prepared. But no such disclaimer was there.

Quote:
How can it not be their fault? I didn't request small and weak chicks.

I mean I think it could probably happen to anybody.

The way the system works is very secretive, but I'm not sure the hatcheries themselves have control over the stock they receive. The parent stock are often owned by the big companies and eggs are sent to the hatcheries to hatch. There is no way in such cases for the hatchery to know the age or condition of the parent stock. If they happen to receive a batch to incubate from young stock, then the chicks are likely to be small and weak.

Probably some hatcheries own their own parent stock, but even there, they have to start somewhere. If the parents are young, they are just young. They could probably wait until they are older to start hatching them, but then that would cost them more money which they would then need to pass on to the buyer.

Of course, the backyard producer likely doesn't get the best stock, anyway. The likely goes to corporate giants like Purdue and Tyson.

Quote:
How can it not be their fault? I didn't request small and weak chicks.

I mean I think it could probably happen to anybody.

The way the system works is very secretive, but I'm not sure the hatcheries themselves have control over the stock they receive. The parent stock are often owned by the big companies and eggs are sent to the hatcheries to hatch. There is no way in such cases for the hatchery to know the age or condition of the parent stock. If they happen to receive a batch to incubate from young stock, then the chicks are likely to be small and weak.

Probably some hatcheries own their own parent stock, but even there, they have to start somewhere. If the parents are young, they are just young. They could probably wait until they are older to start hatching them, but then that would cost them more money which they would then need to pass on to the buyer.

Of course, the backyard producer likely doesn't get the best stock, anyway. The likely goes to corporate giants like Purdue and Tyson.

I see what you're saying, but don't think that is a reasonable excuse. If it were my hatchery, I would be unlikey to sell lower quality chicks in fear of my customers not being satified with my product and going elsewhere for future purchases. I guess not everyone thinks like I do, but they have lost me as a customer.

Have you contacted Central and told them of the issues ?? Just curious if this may be a problem that they are having with other chicks... Let us know how the others do as I also was going to be getting some from Central...

Well simlpe then... do as Buster suggests and order some of the best stock . Oh, by the way, the minimum order is 10,000 .

Quote:
Central isn't the only hatchery I have read reports like this about. That is why someone will report such a problem with a particular hatchery, then other folks will chime in and swear by them, having ordered multiple successful batches of Cornish X from them. In this case, I don't know how Central could have known the chicks were flawed beings they were just hatched.

It is really a roll of the dice, I think. And about economics.

But in the long run it is no skin off my nose. I don't raise CX. This is yet another example of the flaws in the entire system that creates and distributes them. As long as hatcheries offer them for sale and backyard producers order them, there are going to be incidents like this.

That said, I second CoopCrazy's suggestion to contact Central. Maybe they can make it good.

BTW, I believe your assistance is needed in the following thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=309155

Quote:
Good idea!

Wanted: Someone to split an order of 10,000 broiler chicks. I only want 100, so I will have 9,900 for someone else. Any takers? LOL

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
I haven't contacted them YET. From what I've seen before a hatchery won't admit a problem on their end. They may be willing to make it right, but they won't accept fault. I don't know if I will call or not. IMHO, I have figured out why they are cheaper, and not sure if I want to risk it again. I am selling preordered birds this year, and if something goes wrong again, I may end up with customers I can't fullfil my obligation to. Luckily my first batch wasn't all sold and I ordered extras, so it just means less money per bird for me.

Back
Top Bottom