Medicated chick feed for new ducklings??

No one can convince me that medicated isn't unsafe to ducklings. I've lost multiple batches of ducklings to medicated chick feed, and yes I have taken good care of them with a proper brooder, changed their shavings daily, made sure they had fresh food and water, and made sure that they were healthy. It might not always kill them, but IMO its best to be safe and not feed it to them.
When you say "Multiple" batches how many is that exactly? I've raised ducks for about 5-ish years multiple ducklings and have never had any problems with Medicated Feed.
It could also have been the brand and multiple other things.

This is just my opinion, but why risk your're ducklings or future mature ducks getting Coccia. when you can prevent it 100 percent? I also only feed medicated starter for 5-6 weeks then switch them on to Nutrena - All flock. I haven't had any problems with angel wing and all that stuff.

TO ALL THAT REPLIED:

"THANKS YOU SO MUCH"
With all this said, I think I will take the advise of a good duckaholic friend of mine and continue to feed the medicated feed. I mean, I spoke with the lady who owns the grain store and she stands behind it as well stating the same as my duckaholic friend. thanks again, Im ending this post.

everyone have a nice duck day. :{)

When you say "Multiple" batches how many is that exactly? I've raised ducks for about 5-ish years multiple ducklings and have never had any problems with Medicated Feed.
It could also have been the brand and multiple other things.

This is just my opinion, but why risk your're ducklings or future mature ducks getting Coccia. when you can prevent it 100 percent? I also only feed medicated starter for 5-6 weeks then switch them on to Nutrena - All flock. I haven't had any problems with angel wing and all that stuff.

I've been keeping ducklings for about 7-8 years and it was about 10 batches I lost. Its highly unlikely they'll get coccidia if they aren't living in feces.
But I'm not sure if that medicated food was medicated with amprolium...

TO ALL THAT REPLIED:

"THANKS YOU SO MUCH"
With all this said, I think I will take the advise of a good duckaholic friend of mine and continue to feed the medicated feed. I mean, I spoke with the lady who owns the grain store and she stands behind it as well stating the same as my duckaholic friend. thanks again, Im ending this post.

everyone have a nice duck day. :{)

Cool. Just make sure its amprolium that its medicated with. Its unlikely that it'll be anything else but just be sure; I think that the other medications can harm them.

Old time Chick Starter Grower was medicated with arsenic. That was what was killing the ducklings, since they eat about 4 times as much as the chicks they woud over dose on the arsenic and die. Most Starter Grower is no longer medicated with arsenic, so there should be no problems. I had my local farm supply check with the factory rep for Rurine Feeds, he said don't feed medicated feed to ducks, but admitted that it was mostly an old wives tale anymore.
smile.png

I am happy that I found this because we have been feeding out ducklings and chicks the same medicated food (that the person at the feed store recommended for both of them) and after researching more and seeing all the hoopla about NOT doing that, I started to freak out a bit.
Though I do think we will still separate them after reading about the other issues, but at least I don't have to worry about 2 kinds of feed...

Back
Top Bottom