Medicated Chick Start

I put mine out where they have contact with the main flock an the ground for a few weeks before I stop using medicated feed. You can feed it till point of lay or you can change over to a non medicated grower after about 3 weeks old.

It's not an anti-biotic so it doesn't hurt the laying flock and I feed game starter - same thing higher protein, to point of lay usually, especially in the cold months. Coccidiastats are safe for meat and laying birds.

I have my older hens mixed in with the younger ones... when I introduce the new ones they will need to be on Med chick start for 2 more weeks... is it going to be a problem for me if my laying pullets eat some of the medicated chick start>

I'm curious about this as well. I have 7 newly hatched chicks in the coop with their "moms" and the rest of the flock. I'd like to give them medicated starter, but I've no way of ensuring that they are the only ones to eat it since they follow around their respective hatch-moms, who throw food from the main feeder on to the ground for them to pick at...even though the "chick" feeder is 2 feet away.

I've got 4 chicks that where hatched and raised in the hen house with all the other chickens. I tried to feed the chick starter and had no luck ensureing that they got it. I only lost one chick to somekind of diaherra, but that was within a day or 2 of hatch. Lost one to the big water bucket and the other 4 are still with us. I haven't had a moment of problem with them. But they where laid in the hen house and hatched there also.

Back
Top Bottom