Medicated Chick Starter with Water?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Is it okay if water spills in newly hatched chicks' medicated chick starter feed, making it the consistency of mush, and they eat it that way?

Thank you, ChickenCanoe! And it's okay for the Mama Hen to eat it that way, too?

... And it's okay for the Mama Hen to eat it that way, too?

Wet feed isn't a problem as long as it is fed immediately or fermented. Wet feed in a bag or sitting around will mold and that can kill chickens quickly.

Sometimes I'll moisten feed in extreme weather to better hydrate them.

What may not be ok is to feed the adult medicated feed. I don't use medicated at all. There is a chance of vitamin deficiency.

How about if I give the hen vitamin water with electrolytes along with the feed? If I put two cups of feed, one medicated and one regular adult feed with the hen and chicks (they are going to all be together in a cage for a while, to protect the chicks from the cats), will the hen know to eat the regular food, or will she likely gravitate to the medicated chick starter which may test yummier (I don't know if it does)? I guess I could put her food up higher on the wires than the chicks' food, so the chicks can't reach the adult food?

Do you think it is good to give newborn chicks electrolyte water, if they seem to be in fine health, or is that a no-no. I gave it to a new chick a few years ago who hatched with one eye stuck shut and was badly pecked by his StepMama, and his eye opened within 24 hours and he healed right up, but I think I read that it's not good to give it without reason, as it can throw off the natural electrolyte balance. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom