Medicated Chick Starter?

mainemomof2

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Hello,
Can anyone tell me how long I should feed my chicks (EE, Comets & Barred Rocks) the medicated chick starter before I switch them to another type of feed?

Should I be giving them anything else in their food yet (they are 2 weeks tomorrow) like DE or anything else?

Thank you!

I am using the Nutrena Med. starter for 6-8 weeks then switching to grower until about 20-22 weeks or so. Then they will be put on a layer ration. I have DE but I am going to be using it in their coop under their bedding, and in their nest boxes. I also have them on Apple Cider Vinegar ( organic unfiltered ) . About 1 tsp / quart of water. Hope this helps

I use Purina brand feed and they recommend feeding starter until they are of age to start laying. there web site has a lot of info on feeds. hope this helps..
caf.gif

Quote:
Hello Maine Mom,
frow.gif

1)I've been told to keep them on medicated starter food until you put them outside.(18-20% protein)
2)Then you can switch to grower feed OR leave them on chick starter.(medicated or non-medicated) If you don't want to feed medicated chick starter, I would add apple cider vinegar to the water.(1 T/gal)
3)When laying age approaches, you can start on Layer feed.

The above is what I'll be doing.

In fact, when my chicks reach layer age, (they are 8 weeks today) I will be feeding them Flock Raiser. It has 20% protein, which I find better to feed in addition to free ranging and treats.
yippiechickie.gif

HTH,
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom