Medicated Feed and Eggs

MissChessy

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
Texas
My hardware store gave me Medicated Starter Grower instead of Layer Pellets by mistake. I just discovered the mistake this morning. Are the eggs edible after being fed this Medicated Feed? I'm going to call my store and hopefully they will replace my feed without charge!

Ehh...there's mixed thoughts on this...personally, I'd eat them, as there is such a low dose of COCCIDIOSTAT (note: NOT antibiotics) in the feed, some people say it doesn't even work (though I'd argue that point). When you consider all the antibiotics and hormones and other garbage in all the food we buy at the store, the negligible amount of antibiotics in the medicated feed doesn't seem to be a big deal at all...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it very much.

I can't take it back, it is inside my feed bin. Although I do still have the bag it came in......next time, I'll check the label on my bags before opening them up!!
hmm.png

Quote:
THE PHARMACUTICAL IN "MEDICATED FEED" IS MOT AN ANTIBIOTIC AND NO HORMONES WHATSOEVER ARE PERMITTED IN POULTRY PRIDUCTION.
PLEASE EDIT THESE FALSEHOODS OUT OF YOUR POST.

YEAH- I AGREE - I WOULD EAT THE EGGS AS WELL.

Quote:
THE PHARMACUTICAL IN "MEDICATED FEED" IS MOT AN ANTIBIOTIC AND NO HORMONES WHATSOEVER ARE PERMITTED IN POULTRY PRIDUCTION.
PLEASE EDIT THESE FALSEHOODS OUT OF YOUR POST.

YEAH- I AGREE - I WOULD EAT THE EGGS AS WELL.

Excuse me, please, if I misspoke. I had been told more than once on this forum that the "medicated" portion of purina start & grow was an antibiotic. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am posting "FALSEHOODS" so much as it was a misunderstanding. AND I wasn't necessarily referring to poultry production when I said hormones were used in our foods we get from the grocery store, hormones ARE used in many types of food production, including but not limited to beef for example. Not all, but some. Perhaps next time you choose to correct someone, ALL CAPS isn't necessary.

eta: I hope that my original post has now been edited to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
Quote:
My being satisfied is not at all important. Accuracy is.
We should be freinds. I like helping poultry people and you might need what I can do for you some day.

Quote:
My being satisfied is not at all important. Accuracy is.
We should be freinds. I like helping poultry people and you might need what I can do for you some day.

Which is fine, perhaps next time you might re-read your response to see if the person you are speaking to might be offended? All caps and certain wording can be easily misinterpreted, unless you mean to yell and call someone a liar, that is...

COCCIDIOSTAT is an anti-protozoic. I am a nurse and I also thought it was an antibiotic. It is a personal choice I have made for my chickens not to have this even though it seems ok for the eggs to be eaten after your girls have eaten it. You will have to decide for yourself as for my family we have chickens for the cage-free organic eggs so the medicated feed defeats our purpose.

Back
Top Bottom